Forest Ecosystems & Society
B.A., 1992, University of Colorado, Boulder
M.S., 2000, Oregon State University, Corvallis
Ph.D., 2008, Oregon State University, Corvallis
- Genetics and Physiology
- Forest, Wildlife and Landscape Ecology
Tree physiology, forest canopy processes, plant water relations, plant stress physiology, photosynthetic gas exchange
Graduate Major Advisor
- Sala, A., D.R. Woodruff , F.C. Meinzer (2012) Carbon dynamics in trees: feast or famine? Tree Physiology, doi:10.1093/treephys/tpr143
- Woodruff, D.R. and F.C. Meinzer (2011) Water stress, shoot growth and storage of nonstructural carbohydrates along a tree height gradient in a tall conifer. Plant Cell and Environment, 34: 1920-1930.
- Woodruff, D.R., F.C. Meinzer (2011).Size-dependent changes in biophysical control of tree growth: the role of turgor. In: Size- and Age-Related Changes in Tree Structure and Function” F. Meinzer, B. Lachenbruch, T. Dawson, Editors. Springer, pp.363-384 Woodruff, D.R., F.C. Meinzer, K. A. McCulloh (2010) Height-related trends in stomatal sensitivity to leaf-to-air vapor pressure deficit in a tall conifer. Journal of Experimental Botany, 61: 203-210.
- Woodruff D.R., F.C. Meinzer, B. Lachenbruch, D.M. Johnson (2009) Coordination of leaf structure and gas exchange along a height gradient in a tall conifer. Tree Physiology, 2:261-272.
- Woodruff, D.R., F.C. Meinzer, B. Lachenbruch (2008) Height related trends in leaf xylem anatomy and hydraulic characteristics in a tall conifer: safety versus efficiency in foliar water transport. New Phytologist, 180:90-99.
- Domec J-C., Lachenbruch B, Meinzer F.C., Woodruff D.R., McCulloh K., Warren J.M. (2008) Ultimate conifer height is limited by conflicting requirements for xylem design. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 105:12069-12074.
- Woodruff, D.R., K.A. McCulloh, J.M. Warren, F.C. Meinzer, B. Lachenbruch (2007) Impacts of tree height on leaf hydraulic architecture and stomatal control in Douglas-fir. Plant Cell and Environment, 30:559-569.
- Domec, J-C., F.C. Meinzer, B.L. Gartner and D. Woodruff (2006) Transpiration-induced axial and radial tension gradients in trunks of Douglas-fir trees. Tree Physiology, 26: 275-284.
- Woodruff, D.R., B.J. Bond, F.C. Meinzer (2004) Does turgor limit growth in tall trees? Plant Cell and Environment, 27:229-236.