Affiliate Faculty; Research Ecologist, USDA Forest Service
Forest Ecosystems & Society
1994: Ph.D. Forest Ecology, Oregon State University
1984: M.S. Biology, New Mexico State University
1981: B.A. Range Science, New Mexico State University
- Forest, Wildlife and Landscape Ecology
- Aquatic ecosystems
- Watershed Hydrology
Research areas include: Stream-groundwater interactions in mountain stream networks and Ecology and management of riparian zones
- Jarecke, K. M., K. D. Bladon, and S. M. Wondzell. 2021. The influence of local and nonlocal factors on soil water content in a steep forested catchment. Water Resources Research, 57, e2020WR028343.
- Wondzell, S. M., Herzog, S. P., Gooseff, M. N., Ward, A. S., and Schmadel, N. M. 2019. Geomorphic Controls on Hyporheic Exchange across Scales - Watersheds to Particles. Treatise on Geomorphology, 2nd-Edition, published on-line, December 2019.
- Wondzell, S.M., M. Diabat, and R. Haggerty. 2019. What Matters Most: Are Future Stream Temperatures More Sensitive to Changing Air Temperatures, Discharge, or Riparian Vegetation? Journal of the American Water Resources Association 55 (1): 116–132.
- Nash, C.S., G.E. Grant, J.S. Selker, and S.M. Wondzell. 2019. DISCUSSION: “Meadow Restoration Increases Baseflow and Groundwater Storage in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California” by Luke J.H. Hunt, Julie Fair, and Maxwell Odland. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 1–4.
- Adelfio, L.A., S.M. Wondzell, N.J. Mantua, and G.H. Reeves. 2019. Warm winters reduce landscape-scale variability in the duration of egg incubation for coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) on the Copper River Delta, Alaska. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 76: 1362–1375 (2019)
- Corson-Rikert, H. A., S. M. Wondzell, R. Haggerty, M. Santelmann. 2016. Carbon dynamics in the hyporheic zone of a headwater mountain stream in the Cascade Mountains, Oregon. Water Resources Research, 52, 7556–7576.
- Janisch, J. E., S. M. Wondzell, and W. J. Ehinger. 2012. Headwater stream temperature: Interpreting response after logging, with and without riparian buffers, Washington, USA. Forest Ecology and Management, doi:10.1016/j.foreco.2011.12.035.
- Zarnetske, J. P., Haggerty, R., Wondzell, S. M., and Baker, M. A. 2011. Dynamics of nitrate production and removal as a function of residence time in the hyporheic zone. Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences 116, G01025, doi:10.1029/2010JG001356.
- Wondzell, S.M., and King, J. G. 2003. Post-fire Erosional Processes: Comparing the Pacific Northwest Region to the Interior Northwest and Northern Rocky Mountain Region. Forest Ecology and Management 178:75-87
- Kasahara, T., and Wondzell, S.M. 2003. Geomorphic Controls on Hyporheic Exchange Flows in Mountain Streams. Water Resources Research 39(1), 1005, doi=10.1029/2002WR001386