Forest Engineering, Resources & Management
338 Peavy Forest Science Center (PFSC)
PhD, Forest Resources, 1998 Oregon State University
MS, Planning, Public Policy, and Management, 1991 University of Oregon
BS, Political Science, 1988 University of Oregon
Professional Engineer: Oregon Professional Land Surveyor: Oregon Water Right Examiner: Oregon
- Forest Biometrics and Geomatics
- Engineering for Sustainable Forestry
- Geographic Information Science
- Remote Sensing
Geomatics, land cover change, global positioning systems (GPS), decision support systems, land surveying and geodesy, crime mapping and analysis, precision forestry, spatial statistics
Current Programs: Co-Director of Environmental Remote Sensing Applications Laboratory (ERSAL) Decision support system for timber salvage, land cover change and fragmentation, airborne and terrestrial LiDAR applications, remote sensing of forest environments
Graduate Major Advisor
- FE 102Forest Engineering Problem Solving and Technology
- FE 357GIS and Forest Engineering Applications
- FE 422/522Forest Geomatics
- FOR 421/521Spatial Analysis of Forested Landscapes
- Wing, M.G., J. Burnett, J. Sessions, J. Brungardt, V. Cordell, D. Dobler, and D. Wilson. 2013 . Eyes in the sky: Remote sensing technology development using small unmanned aircraft systems. (in press). Journal of Forestry
- Frank, J. and M.G. Wing. 2013. Differential GPS effectiveness in measuring area and perimeter in forested settings. (in press). Measurement Science and Technology.
- Wing, M.G., J. Burnett, and J. Sessions. 2013. Remote sensing and unmanned aerial system technology for monitoring and quantifying forest fire impacts. (in press) International Journal of Remote Sensing.
- Wing, M.G., M. Craven, J. Sessions, and J. Wimer. 2013. LiDAR-derived DEM and raw height comparisons along profile corridor gradients within a forest. (in press) Journal of Geographic Information System.
- Akay, A.E., M.G. Wing, and J. Sessions. 2013. Estimating sediment reduction cost for low-volume forest roads using a LiDAR-derived high-resolution DEM. (in press). Baltic Journal of Road and Bridge Engineering.
- Edson, C. and M.G. Wing. 2012. Tree location measurement accuracy with a mapping-grade GPS receiver under forest canopy. Forest Science 58(6):567-576.
- Akay, A.E., M.G. Wing, F. Sivrikaya, and D. Sakar. 2012. A GIS-based decision support system to determine the shortest and safest route to forest fires: A case study in the Mediterranean region of Turkey. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 184:1391-1407.
- Albers, H.J, A. W. Ando, M. Bu, and M.G. Wing. 2012. Road-network agglomeration, road density, and protected-area fragmentation. Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences 5(3): 137-150.
- Akay, A.E., M.G. Wing, and J. Sessions. 2012. Estimating structural properties of riparian forests with GIS and airborne LiDAR data. International Journal of Remote Sensing 33(22):7010-7023.
Complete Publications List:For a complete list of publications, visit Publications