Assistant Professor, Forest Watershed Extension Specialist
Forest Engineering, Resources & Management
Outreach and Engagement
358 Peavy Forest Science Center (PFSC)
1990 Ph.D. University of California-Berkeley. Wildland Resources Science with major in natural resources policy, economics and management.
1987 M.S. University of California- Berkeley. Wildland Resources Science.
1973 B.S Marlboro College, Marlboro, Vermont. Emphasis in limnology and ecology.
- Forest Soil and Watershed Processes
Prioritization of watershed restoration projects; riparian silviculture; salmon life cycle analysis; sediment effects from forest roads.
Forest Watershed Extension state-wide specialist
Graduate Major Advisor
- FE460Forest Operations Regulations & Policy Issues
- Souder, J. 2016. “An Overview of Watershed Science.” Lead article in an issue on Streams and Riparian Areas in Northwest Woodlands 32(1): 8 – 13.
- Souder, J. 2015. “Riparian Restoration: Lessons from the Field.” Western Forester 60(5): 17, 23.
- Souder, Jon A. 2013. “The human dimensions of stream restoration: Working with diverse partners to develop and implement restoration.” Pp. 114 - 143 In: Roni, P., and T. Beechie (eds.) Stream and Watershed Restoration: A Comprehensive Guide To Planning, Implementation and Evaluation. Wiley-Blackwell. xvi + 300 pp.
- Giannico, Guillermo R. and Souder, Jon A. 2005. “Tide Gates in the Pacific Northwest: Operations, Types, and Environmental Effects.” Oregon Sea Grant, ORESU-T-05-001.
- Giannico, Guillermo R. and Souder, Jon A. 2004. “The Effects of Tide Gates on Estuarine Habitats and Migratory Fish.” Oregon Sea Grant, ORESU-G-04-002. 9 pp.
- Souder, Jon A. and Sally K. Fairfax. 2000. "In Land We Trusted." In: Geisler, Charles and Gail Daneker (eds.). Property and Values (Covelo, CA: Island Press).
- Rice, T.A. and J.A. Souder. 1998. “Pulp Friction and the Management of Oregon’s State Forests.” Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation 13(1): 209-273.
- Souder, J.A. and S.K. Fairfax. 1996 State Trust Lands: History, Management, and Sustainable Use. University Press of Kansas.
Complete Publications List:For a complete list of publications, visit Watersheds Research Cooperative
Extension Specialist, Forest Watershed Management