Wood Science & Engineering
120 Richardson Hall
Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, University of Colorado, 1975
B.S., Chemistry, University of Missouri, 1969
- Forest-based Bio-Products
- 3D Printing
- Wood-based Composites
Graduate Major Advisor
- WSE 266 (Ecampus)INDUSTRIAL HEMPIntroduction to the botany, biology and agronomy of the hemp plant, and the origins, historical contexts and implications of contemporary legal and social issues surrounding its use for food, fiber, and building products.
- WSE 321CHEMISTRY OF RENEWABLE MATERIALSChemical structures and chemical properties of renewable plant-based materials will be taught at molecular levels. Chemical compositions of different renewable materials will be covered. Chemical and biochemical modifications and applications or renewable materials will be discussed in detail.
- WSE 465RENEWABLE MATERIALS MANUFACTURING EXPERIENCELearning about and visiting a number of renewable materials industrial and commercial operations representing all parts of the renewable materials value chain. The class will meet daily for one 5-day week immediately prior to the start of fall term.
- WSE 507/607, sections 1 & 2SEMINAR
- WSE 522WOOD SCIENCE IIContinuation of the comprehensive overview and integration of wood and fiber anatomy, physics, chemistry, and mechanics; integration of basic wood science to understand relationships with wood and fiber properties and their impact on final use. Focus on biological, chemical and physical degradation of wood; adhesion; and physical and engineering properties of wood.
- WSE 530POLYMER COMPOSITESA comprehensive survey of the material and mechanical properties of polymer-based composite materials including failure mechanisms, interfacial and nanoscale effects, and transport and thermal properties.