Forest Ecosystems & Society
B.A., 1968, California State University/Long Beach
M.S., 1990, Oregon State University
Ph.D., 1993, Oregon State University
- Natural Resources
- Social Science
social values of natural resources, public agency-community interactions, social aspects of wildland fire management, communication strategies.
- NR 455Natural Resource Decision-making (NR program capstone course)
- FOR 391Natural Resource Communications
- FOR 355Managing for Multiple Resource Values
- FOR 493Natural Resource Interpretation
- Allan, C., B. Shindler, and A. Curtis. 2013. Watershed-scale adaptive management: a social science perspective. In: J.Stanturf et al. (eds.) Forest Landscape Restoration: Integrating Natural and Social Sciences. World Forests, Springer Science.
- Shindler, B., R. Gordon, M. Brunson, and C. Olsen. 2012. Public perspectives of sagebrush ecosystem management in the Great Basin. Rangeland Ecology and Management 64(4):335-343.
- McCaffrey, S., B. Shindler, M. Stidham, and E. Toman. 2012. Social science research on wildland fire: an overview of recent findings and future research needs. International Journal of Wildland Fire. 10:10.
- Olsen, C., B. Shindler, and A. Mallon. 2012. Public acceptance of disturbance-based forest management: factors influencing support. ISRN Forestry, Environmental Studies and Sciences 10(5):2-12.
- Shindler, B., R. Gordon, S. McCaffrey and E. Toman. 2011. Collaborating for healthy forests and communities: a guide for building partnerships among diverse interests. Science delivery publication for the Joint Fire Science Program. Forest Ecosystems and Society, Oregon State University. Corvallis, OR.
- Shindler, B. and J. Drohan. 2011. A longitudinal analysis of public acceptance of fire and fuels management: Lessons from forest communities, 2002-2010. Fire Science Digest 5:1-4.
- Spies, T., B. Shindler, E. White, J. Kline, A. Fisher, A. Ager, J. Bolte, J. Koch, E. Platt, C. Olsen, D. Jacobs, and R. Hammer. In press. Examining fire-prone landscapes as coupled human and natural systems. Ecosystems and Society.