Forest Ecosystems & Society
B.A., 1970, University of Colorado
M.S., 1973, University of Wisconsin
Ph.D., 1976, University of Colorado
- Natural Resources
- Soil Science
sociology of natural resources; crowding and carrying capacity; resource allocation; norms and standards for resource management; stream flows and resource values
- FOR 207Career Development
- FOR 351Recreation Behavior and Management
- FOR 558Recreation Planning and Management
- Kim, S. and B. Shelby. 2007. Norm stability in Jirisan National Park: Effects of time, existing conditions, and background characteristics. Environmental Management, in press.
- Shelby, B. and D. Whittaker. 2007. Camp competition: Understanding demand, supply, and campsite occupancy. River Management Society 20(3).
- Whittaker, D. and B. Shelby. 2007. Trips, people, or user days: What managers should know about river use data. River Management Society 20(3).
- Shelby, B. and D. Whittaker. 2007. “Shortening” the Grand Canyon: What difference does access make? River Management Society 20(3).
- Kim, S.O. and B. Shelby. 2006. Comparing onsite and offsite methods for measuring norms for trail impacts. Environmental Management 37(4):567-578.
- Kim. S. and B. Shelby. 2006. Developing standards for trail condition using image capture technology. Leisure Sciences 27:279-295.
- Johnson, R., B. Shelby, M. Brunson, and J. Leahy. 2005. Socioeconomic responses to silvicultural alternatives. In Maguire, C. and C. Chambers. Ecological socioeconomic responses to alternative silvicultural treatments. Corvallis: OSU Forest Research Laboratory
- Shelby, B., J. Thompson, M. Brunson, and R. Johnson. 2005. A decade of recreation ratings for six silviculture treatments in Western Oregon. Journal of Environmental Management 75:239-246.
- Shelby, B., J. Tokarczyk, and R. Johnson. 2004. Timber harvests and forest neighbors. Journal of Forestry 102(1):8-13.
- Shelby, B., D. Whittaker, and R. Mazza. 2004. Assessing Controlled Whitewater Flows on Washington State's Chelan River. Hydro Review 23(2):36-45.
- Kim, S., C. Lee, and B. Shelby. 2003. Utilization of photographs for determining impact indicators for trail management. Environmental Management 32(2):282-289.
- Shelby, B., J. Thompson, M. Brunson, and R. Johnson. 2003. Changes in scenic quality after harvest: a decade of ratings for six silvicultural treatments. Journal of Forestry 101(2):30-35.
- Whittaker, D. and B. Shelby. 2002. Evaluating instream flows for recreation: applying the structural norms approach to biophysical conditions. Leisure Sciences 24(3):363-374.
- Vaske, J., D. Whittaker, B. Shelby, and M. Manfredo. 2002. Indicators and standards: developing definitions of quality. In Manfredo, M.J. (Ed.), Wildlife Viewing: a management handbook. Corvallis: Oregon State University Press.