University Distinguished Professor, Strachan Chair of Forest Operations Management
Forest Engineering, Resources & Management
336 Peavy Forest Science Center (PFSC)
Ph.D., Forest Management, 1979 Oregon State University
M.S., Forest Engineering, 1971 University of Washington
M.S., Civil Engineering, 1968 California State University
B.S., Civil Engineering, 1966 University of California, Los Angeles
Registered Professional Civil Engineer: Washington
- Engineering for Sustainable Forestry
- Forest Operations Planning and Management
- Forest Modeling
- Forest Planning
- International Forestry
Developing techniques for transportation planning, tactical forest planning, strategic forest planning, decision support systems for road management, biomass collection and transport.
During Academic Year 2018-2019: Summer Term 2019 – Projects Biomass Production and Transport Planning, Steep Slope Logging Vehicle Performance
Graduate Major Advisor
External (non-CoF) Graduate Students:
- Carlos Diniz, PhD (visiting scholar)
- FE/FOR 456International Forestry (team taught)
- FE 470/570Logging Mechanics
- FE 552Forest Transportation
- FE 640Combinatorial Optimization in Forest Planning
- FE/FOR 457/557Techniques for Forest Resource Analysis
- Belart, F., B. Leshchinsky, J. Sessions, W. Chung, P. Green, J. Wimer, and B. Morrissette. 2018. Sliding Stability of Cable-Assisted Tracked Equipment on Steep Slopes. Forest Science. Online Dec 20, 2018. https://academic.oup.com/forestscience/advance-article/doi/10.1093/forsci/fxy064/5256532#
- Sessions, J. and K. Lyons. 2018. Harvesting elevation potential from mountain forests. Published on line Oct. 1, 2018. International J. of Forest Engineering. https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/vDYX7eDrjZe9dyJ8Y2AZ/full
- Belart, F., J. Sessions, and G. Murphy. 2018. Seasonal changes in live branch moisture content of three forest species in the Pacific Northwest, USA. Forest Science. Available on line, August 29, 2018 at https://doi.org/10.1093/forsci/fxy038.
- Campbell, J., J. Sessions, D. Smith, and K. Trippe. 2018. Potential carbon storage in biochar made from logging residue: basic principles and southern Oregon case studies. Published Sep13, 2018. PLoS ONE 13(9): e0203475. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0203475.
- Daugherty, B., J. Sessions, R. Zamora-Cristales, and M. Wing. 2018. Improving Large Trailer Access for Biomass Recovery in Steep Terrain. Forest Science 64(4):429-441. Available on line April 4, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1093/forsci/fxx020
- Zamora, R, K. Boston, J. Long, and J. Sessions. 2018. Economic Estimation of the Available Biomass Following Logging Operations in Western Oregon and Washington. In press. Forest Products J. Available on line March 2, 2018 at http://www.forestprodjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.13073/FPJ-D-17-00045
- Han, H.-S., A. Jacobson, E.M. Bilek, and J. Sessions. 2018. Waste to Wisdom: Utilizing forest residues for the production of bioenergy and biobased products. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 34(1):1-7.
- Berry, M. and J. Sessions. 2018. The Economics of Biomass Logistics and Conversion Facility Mobility: An Oregon Case Study. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 34(1):57-72.
- Berry, M. and J. Sessions. 2018. A Forest-to-Product Biomass Supply Chain in the Pacific Northwest, USA: A multi-product approach. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 34(1):109-124. Available on Line at doi: 10.13031/aea.12384.
- Berry, M. , J. Sessions and R. Zamora-Cristales. 2018. Sub-regional comparison for forest-to-product biomass supply chains on the Pacific West Coast, USA. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 34(1):157-174.
- Belart, F., J. Sessions, B. Leshchinsky, and G. Murphy. 2017. Economic implications of moisture content and logging system in forest harvest residue delivery for energy production: a case study. Canadian J. of For. Res. 47(4): 458-466, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfr-2016-0428.
- Mirkouei, A., K. Haapala, J. Sessions, and G. Murthy. 2017. A Review and Future Directions in Techno-Economic Modeling and Optimization of Upstream Forest Biomass to Bio-oil Supply Chains. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 67(2017)15–35.
- Sessions, J., B. Leshchinsky, W. Chung, K. Boston, and J. Wimer. 2017. Theoretical Stability and Traction of Steep Slope Tethered Feller-Bunchers. Forest Science 63(2):192-200
- Chen, C., F. Pierobon, R. Zamora, I. Ganguly, J. Sessions, and I. Eastin. 2017. Modeling the processing and transportation logistics of forest residues using life cycle assessment. Journal of Forestry 115(2)86-94.
- Belart, F., B. Leshchinsky, and J. Sessions. 2017. Finite element analysis to predict in-forest stored harvest residue moisture content. In press. Forest Science. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5849/FS-2016-064R1
- Ghaffariyan, M. R., M. Brown, M. Acuna, J. Sessions, T. Gallagher, M. Kühmaier, R. Spinelli, R. Visser, G. Devlin, L.Eliasson, J. Laitila, R. Laina, M. Wide, and G. Engell. 2017. An international review of the most productive and cost effective biomass recovery technologies and supply chains. J. of Renewable Energy Reviews 74(2017) 145-158. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2017.02.014
- Sessions, J., J. Gordon, P. Rigdon, D. Motanic, and V. Corrao. 2017. Indian Forests and Forestry: Can they play a larger role in Sustainable Forest Management? In press. Journal of Forestry.doi: https://doi.org/10.5849/jof.2016-083R1
- Mirkouei, A. K.R. Haapala, G.S. Murthy, and J. Sessions. 2016. Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions For Sustainable Bio-Oil Production Using A Mixed Supply Chain. Proceedings of the 2016 ASME IDETC/CIE: 21st Design for Manufacturing and the Life Cycle Conference (DFMLC), Paper DETC2015-59262, August 21-25, Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Marrs, G., R. Zamora and J. Sessions. 2016. Optimizing the Feedstock Value Chain for Bio-Jet Fuel from Pacific Northwest Softwood Harvest Residues. In press. J. of Renewable Energy. 99 (2016): 1082-1091
- Zamora-Cristales, R. and J. Sessions. 2016. A collection model for forest biomass residues. Croatian J. of Forest Engineering 3(2):287-296.
- Mirkouei, A., K.R. Haapala, G.S. Murthy, and J. Sessions. 2016. Evolutionary Optimization of Bioenergy Supply Chain Cost with Uncertain Forest Biomass Quality and Availability. Proceedings of the IIE/ISERC, May 21-24, Anaheim, California.
- Wing, M.G., J. Burnett, J. Brungardt, D. Dobler, V. Cordell, and J. Sessions. 2016. Search and Rescue Operations with an Unmanned Helicopter. International Journal of Remote Sensing Applications, 2016, 6(0), 65-75. doi: 10.14355/ijrsa.2016.06.007.
- Mirkouei, A., P. Mirzaie, K. Haapala, J. Sessions and G. Murthy. 2016. Reducing the Cost and Environmental Impact of Integrated Fixed and Mobile Bio-Oil Refinery Supply Chains. J. of Cleaner Energy 113(2016):495-507. On line at doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.11023
- Leshchinsky, B. J. Sessions, and J. Wimer. 2015. Analytical design charts for mobile anchor systems. In press. Int. J. of For. Engr. On line April 8, 2015. DOI: 10.1080/14942119.2015.1023014
- Temesgen H., K. Poudel, A. Gray, D. Affleck, and J. Sessions. 2015. Challenges and Opportunities in Estimating Above Ground Forest Biomass. Scandinavian J. of For. Res. Online Jan 27, 2015, doi:10.1080/02827581.2015.1012114.
- Leshchinsky. B. J. Sessions, J. Wimer and M. Clausen. 2015. Designing Mobile Anchors to Yield: A Tension Relief System for Tail Anchoring. Submitted to Croation J. of Forest Engineering.
- Zhu, J.Y., M. Chandra, F. Gu, R. Gleisner, R. Reiner, J. Sessions, G; Marrs, J. Gao, and D. Anderson. 2015. Using sulfite chemistry for robust bioconversion of Douglas-fir forest residue to bioethanol at high titer and lignosulfonate: A pilot-scale evaluation. Bioresource Technology 179(2015):390-397.
- Zamora, R., J. Sessions, D. Smith and G. Marrs. 2015. Effect of grinder configuration on forest biomass bulk density, particle size distribution and fuel consumption. Biomass and Bioenergy (81):44-54.
- Lauer, C., J. McCaulou, J. Sessions, and S. Capalbo. 2015. Biomass Supply Curves for Western Juniper in Central Oregon, USA, Under Alternative Business Model and Policy Assumptions. In press. J. Forest Policy and Economics.
- Simwanda, M., J. Sessions, K. Boston, and M. Wing. 2015. Modeling biomass transport on single lane forest roads. Forest Science (61):763-773.
- Zamora, R. and J. Sessions. 2015. Economics and logistics of double trailers in transporting forest biomass on steep terrain. In press. California Agriculture Journal