Associate Professor of Wood Design and Architecture
Wood Science & Engineering
236 Richardson Hall
PhD, 2007 – Mechanical and Structural Engineering Dept. University of Trento, Italy
MS, 1997 – Faculty of Architecture, University of Florence, Italy
- Timber Mechanics and Structural Engineering
- Wood Architecture, Green Building and Environmental Performance
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Advanced Wood Products in Architecture
- Architecture & Engineering Interdisciplinary Research
- Circular economy
- Design for Maintenance, Repair and Reuse
- Design for Manufacturing, Assembly and Deconstruction
- Renewable Materials in Architectural Design
- Structural Health Assessment
Graduate Major Advisor
- WSE 225BUILDING DESIGN INNOVATION WITH WOODIntroduction to architectural design, considering the different building requirements and the solutions available, with a focus on wood-based products and other ligno-cellulosic materialsAdditional Information:
- WSE 425/525TIMBER TECTONICS IN THE DIGITAL AGEAn exploration of the advances in design, construction and fabrication of timber buildings. Includes experimentation with both physical and digital models and a final project, in collaboration with University of Oregon Architecture students.
- WSE 526STRUCTURAL HEALTH ASSESSMENT/MONITORING OF TIMBER BUILDINGSHolistic approaches for the evaluation of the performance of timber systems and structures in a building. Learn about the tools available to experts for different analysis purposes, and to understand how data acquired from different techniques can be analyzed and used to inform building management and maintenance, fabrication and construction practices, and future design.
- Ahn, N., Dodoo, A., Riggio, M., Muszynski, L., Schimleck, L. and Puettmann, M., 2022. Circular economy in mass timber construction: State-of-the-art, gaps and pressing research needs. Journal of Building Engineering, 53, p.104562.
- Baas, E.J., Riggio, M. and Barbosa, A.R., 2021. A methodological approach for structural health monitoring of mass-timber buildings under construction. Construction and Building Materials, 268, p.121153.
- Riggio, M. and Cheng, N.Y.W., 2021. Computation and Learning Partnerships: Lessons from Wood Architecture, Engineering, and Construction Integration. Education Sciences, 11(3), p.124.
- Riggio, M. and Dilmaghani, M., 2020. Structural health monitoring of timber buildings: A literature survey. Building Research & Information, 48(8), pp.817-837.
- Riggio, M., Alhariri, N. and Hansen, E., 2020. Paths of innovation and knowledge management in timber construction in North America: A focus on water control design strategies in CLT building enclosures. Architectural Engineering and Design Management, 16(1), pp.58-83.
- Schmidt, E.L., Riggio, M., Barbosa, A.R. and Mugabo, I., 2019. Environmental response of a CLT floor panel: Lessons for moisture management and monitoring of mass timber buildings. Building and Environment, 148, pp.609-622.