Associate Professor of Wood Design and Architecture
Wood Science & Engineering
236 Richardson Hall
PhD, 2007 – Mechanical and Structural Engineering Dept. University of Trento, Italy
MS, 1997 – Faculty of Architecture, University of Florence, Italy
- Timber Mechanics and Structural Engineering
- Wood Architecture, Green Building and Environmental Performance
- Art, Architecture and Design
- Advanced Wood Products in Architecture
- Architecture & Engineering Interdisciplinary Research
- Post Occupancy Evaluation
- Renewable Materials in Architectural Design
- Structural Health Assessment
Graduate Major Advisor
- WSE 225PRINCIPLES OF ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN WITH WOOD AND OTHER RENEWABLE MATERIALSIntroduction to architectural design, considering the different building requirements and the solutions available, with a focus on wood-based products and other ligno-cellulosic materialsAdditional Information:
- WSE 425/525TIMBER TECTONICS IN THE DIGITAL AGEAn exploration of the advances in design, construction and fabrication of timber buildings. Includes experimentation with both physical and digital models and a final project, in collaboration with University of Oregon Architecture students.Additional Information:
- Baas, E.J., Riggio, M. and Barbosa, A.R., 2021. A methodological approach for structural health monitoring of mass-timber buildings under construction. Construction and Building Materials, 268, p.121153.
- Riggio, M. and Cheng, N.Y.W., 2021. Computation and Learning Partnerships: Lessons from Wood Architecture, Engineering, and Construction Integration. Education Sciences, 11(3), p.124.
- Riggio, M. and Dilmaghani, M., 2020. Structural health monitoring of timber buildings: A literature survey. Building Research & Information, 48(8), pp.817-837.
- Riggio, M., Alhariri, N. and Hansen, E., 2020. Paths of innovation and knowledge management in timber construction in North America: A focus on water control design strategies in CLT building enclosures. Architectural Engineering and Design Management, 16(1), pp.58-83.
- Schmidt, E.L., Riggio, M., Barbosa, A.R. and Mugabo, I., 2019. Environmental response of a CLT floor panel: Lessons for moisture management and monitoring of mass timber buildings. Building and Environment, 148, pp.609-622.