Director, Graduate Certificate in Urban Forestry; Senior Instructor I
Forest Ecosystems & Society
B.S. and M.S. degrees in Natural Resources from The Ohio State University
Ed.D. in Educational Leadership from Carson-Newman University
- Integrated Social and Ecological Systems
- Urban and Community Forestry
- Green Infrastructure
- Natural Resources Leadership
Note: Dr. Ries does not hold a research appointment and has no funded graduate research assistant positions
Dr. Ries has worked as a practitioner and educator in natural resources, wildland fire, urban forestry, and arboriculture at the state, local, International, non-profit, and academic levels for over 35 years. He has helped lead the development of multiple innovative urban forestry learning opportunities such as the Municipal Forestry Institute, Tree Board University, and the Green Communities Leadership Institute. Paul is a Past-President of the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and has been an ISA Certified Arborist since 1988.
Graduate Major Advisor
- FES/HORT 350Fall and Winter Quarters
- FES/HORT 455/555Fall Quarter
- FES 560Winter Quarter
- FES 565Spring Quarter
- FES/HORT 447/547Spring Quarter
- Day, S.D., Ries, P.D., Bassett, C.G., Wiseman, P.E., and O’Herrin, K. (2022) Support for a new credential in urban forestry: Results from a survey of urban forest professionals. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening, (73)
- Morgan, M., and Ries, P.D. (2022). Planting free trees on private property: understanding urban residents’ motivations and hesitations. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening, (71)
- Tilt, J.H., and Ries, P.D. (2021). Constraints and catalysts influencing green infrastructure projects: A study of small communities in Oregon (USA). Urban Forestry and Urban Greening, (63)
- Petter, J., Ries, P.D., D’Antonio, A., and Contreras, R., (2020). A Tree Selection Survey of Tree City USA Designated Cities in the Pacific Northwest. Arboriculture and Urban Forestry 46(5):371-384.
- Ries, P.D. (2020) Organizational outcomes and impacts of employee attendance at the municipal forestry institute leadership course. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, (53)
- Petter, J., Ries, P.D., D’Antonio, A., and Contreras, R., (2020). How are managers making tree species selection decisions in the Pacific Northwest of the United States? Arboriculture and Urban Forestry 46(2):148-161.
- Greenleaf, S., and Ries, P.D. (2020). Citizen advisory boards in urban forestry: Who are members and why do they serve? Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, (47)
- RJohnson, C., Tilt, J.H., Ries, P.D., Shindler, B. (2019). Continuing professional education for green infrastructure: Fostering collaboration through interdisciplinary training. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, (41), 283-291.
- Ries, P. D. (2019). Evaluating impacts of the municipal forestry institute leadership training on participants’ personal and professional lives. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 39, 1-8.