Associate Professor and Program Director of Natural Resources
Forest Ecosystems & Society
248 Peavy Forest Science Center (PFSC)
PhD - University of Minnesota
MS - University of Idaho
BS - Penn State
- Soil-Plant-Atmosphere Continuum
- Social Science, Policy and Natural Resources
- Landscape Ecology
- Restoration Ecology
- Soil Science
A sustainable future for humankind requires consideration of how our activities impact the life cycle of the ecosystems that provide the services we rely on. My research interests cover understanding the how the critical zone (water, soil, geology) and the rest of the Earth’s surface components are interacting, and how that is going to impact us (and how we impact those processes).
I came to Oregon State University in 2003 to support the Natural Resources Program at OSU-Cascades campus in Bend. While in Bend, I worked to advance our understanding of the ecosystems of the high desert and mentored students that had a love of nature and the outdoors. I moved to the Corvallis Campus in 2021 to continue that work and manage the OSU natural resource program. When not in the classroom, office, or on field assignment, I hang out with Jennifer Reuter and watch my kids take flight in their own lives.
Graduate Major Advisor
External (non-CoF) Graduate Students:
- Olshevski, Stuart
- SNR 530Ecological Principles of Sustainability
- SNR 506Capstone
- FES/FW 445/545Ecological Restoration
- Past coursesNR201 Managing NR for the Future; NR455 Natural Resource Decision Making; ENSC101 Environmental Sciences Orientation; GEO322 Surface Processes; SOIL366 Ecosystems of Wildland Soils; FW479 Wetland Ecology; SOIL205/206 Soil Science; SOIL466 Soil Classification and Morphology; SOIL395 World Soil Resources; FES365 Issues in Natural Resource Conservation; SOIL408 Soil Judging
- Prive, K., MR Orr, FF Kilkenny, RJ Reuter, HR Prendeville. 2021. Phenological Variation in Bluebunch Wheatgrass (Pseudoroegneria spicata): Implications for Seed Sourcing, Harvest, and Restoration. Land, 10, 1064.
- Stucki, Rodhouse, T. J., & Reuter, R. J. 2021. Effects of traditional harvest and burning on common camas (Camassia quamash) abundance in Northern Idaho: The potential for traditional resource management in a protected area wetland. Ecology and Evolution, 11(23), 16473–16486.
- Orr, M., Reuter, R., & Murphy, S. 2019. Solarization to control downy brome (Bromus tectorum) for small-scale ecological restoration. Invasive Plant Science and Management, 1-8. doi:10.1017/inp.2019.8
- Reuter, R.J. 2016. Online Delivery of Field and Laboratory-based Earth Sciences Curriculum. In D. Kennepohl (ed) Science Teaching in Distance Education: Lessons from Research and Practice. Stylus Publishing, Sterling, Virginia.