Forest Engineering, Resources & Management
PhD, Geotechnical Engineering, 1981 University of California, Berkeley
MS, Civil Engineering, 1975 Oregon State University
BS, Civil Engineering, 1973 Oregon State University
Registered Professional Civil Engineer: California and Oregon
Engineering properties of soils, slope stability, hydraulics and hydrology, logging mechanics, forest roads
- Pattison J., K. Boston, and M. Pyles. 2010. Development of a correlation model between a 20-kg Clegg hammer and Field CBR for measuring subgrade strength in forest roads in western Oregon. International Journal of Forest Engineering. 21(1):12-19
- Boston, Kevin, Marvin R. Pyles, and Andrea Bord. 2008. “Compaction of Forest Roads in Northwestern Oregon – Room for Improvement.” International Journal of Forest Engineering 19(1):24-28.
- Pyles, Marvin R. and Robert A. Douglas. 2007. “Inappropriate productivity measures: the demise of university forestry programs?” Forest Products Journal.
- Pyles, Marvin R. and Mari Kramer. 2006. “A Case Study of DEM Based Slope Stability Assessment on Managed Forest Land in the Oregon Coast Range.” Western Journal of Applied Forestry, 21(4):195-102.
- House, Matthew R., Marvin R. Pyles, and Dale White. 2005. “Velocity Distributions in Streambed Simulation Culverts Used for Fish Passage.” Journal of the American Water Resources Association [JAWRA], 41(1):209-217.