Forest Ecosystems & Society
301K Richardson Hall
Ph.D., 2013, Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management, Clemson University (USA)
M.S., 2004, Tourism and Conservation, University of Kent (United Kingdom)
B.Z., 2000, Management, University of Rwanda (Rwanda)
- Integrated Social and Ecological Systems
- Social Science, Policy and Natural Resources
- Sustainable Recreation and Tourism
- Social Science
Sustainable Livelihoods: Understanding the relationship between rural community livelihoods and ecological degradation; Ecotourism: Understanding the potential of ecotourism as a mechanism for advancing ecological and socio-economic benefits in rural communities neighboring valuable and threatened ecological systems; Community Collaboration and Governance: Understanding opportunities for applicable community partnerships and collaboration in ecotourism and natural resources management.
Graduate Major Advisor
- Munanura, I. E., Backman K. F., Moore, D. D., Hallo, C. J., & Powell, B. R. (2014). Household Poverty Dimensions Influencing Forest Dependence at Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda. An Application of the Sustainable Livelihoods Framework. Natural Resources, 5, 1031-104.
- Munanura, I. E., Backman, K. F & Sabuhoro, E. (2013). Managing tourism growth in endangered species habitats of Africa: Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda. Current Issues in Tourism, Vol. 16, Issue 7-8, p700-718.
- Munanura, I. E & Backman, K. F. (2012). Stakeholder Collaboration as a tool for Tourism Planning: A developing country’s perspective. Journal of Tourism, Vol. 13, (1), p23-39.
- Peter, P, F., Mulindahabi, F., Gakima, J, B., Masozera, M., Munanura, I., Plumptre, A, J. & Nguyen, N. (2007). Ranging patters of Colobus Angolensis ruwenzorii, in Nyungwe Forest, Rwanda. Possible cost of large group size. International Journal of Primatology, Vol.28, No.3, p529-550.
- Santiago ML, Bibollet-Ruche F, Gross-Camp N, Majewski AC, Masozera M, Munanura I, Kaplin BA, Sharp PM, Shaw GM, Hahn BH. (2003). Noninvasive detection of Simian immunodeficiency virus infection in a wild-living L’Hoest’s monkey (Cercopithecus I'hoesti), AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses ,Vol. 19(12): 1163-6.
- Munanura, I. E & Backman, K. F. Rwanda Tourism. Submitted to Encyclopedia of Tourism.
- Backman K. F., & Munanura, I. E. Ecotourism in Africa, 30 years later. Submitted to Journal of Ecotourism.
- Munanura, I. E., Backman K. F., Hallo, C. J., Powell, B. R & Moore, D. D. The Potential of Community Tourism Benefits to address Forest Dependence behavior of Poor Households in proximity to Protected Areas in Africa. The case of Volcanoes National Park. Submitted to Journal of Ecotourism.
- Munanura, I. E., Backman K. F., Hallo, C. J. & Powell, B. R Moore. Tourism benefits Perceptions among Rwanda’s protected area managers and local residents in proximity to Volcanoes National Park. The case of Tourism Revenue Sharing Program. In revision for Journal of Sustainable Tourism.
- Munanura, I. E., Backman K. F., Hallo, C. J. & Powell, B. R. The relationship between Poverty and Forest dependence: An inductive exploration of multiple stakeholder perceptions at Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda. In revision for Society and Natural Resources.