Forest Ecosystems & Society
B.S., 1972, University of California, Irvine
M.S., 1975, University of Washington, Seattle
Ph.D., 1981, University of Washington, Seattle
- Genetics and Physiology
- Soil-Plant-Atmosphere Continuum
- Forest Ecology
Environmental plant physiology, physiological plant ecology, stress physiology, plant-water relations, photosynthetic gas exchange, stomatal physiology, stable isotopes in ecological research, micrometeorology.
Graduate Major Advisor
- Liu, Y-Y, A-Y Wang, Y-N An, P-Y Lian, D-D Wu, J-J Zhu, F.C. Meinzer and G-Y Hao. 2018. Hydraulics play an important role in causing low growth rate and dieback of aging Pinus sylvestris var. mongolica trees in plantations of Northeast China. Plant, Cell and Environment 41: 1500-1511.
- Anderegg, W.R.L., A. Wolf, A. Arango-Velez, B. Choat, D.J. Chmura, S. Jansen, T. Kolb, S. Li, F.C. Meinzer et al. 2018. Woody plants optimize stomatal behavior relative to hydraulic risk. Ecology Letters 21: 968-977.
- Greer, B.T., C. Still, G.L. Cullinan, J.R. Brooks and F.C. Meinzer. 2018. Polyploidy influences plant-environment interactions in quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.) Tree Physiology 38: 630-640.
- Anderegg, W.R.L., A. Wolf, A. Arango-Velez, B. Choat, D.J. Chimura, S. Jansen, T. Kolb, S. Li, F. Meinzer et al. 2017. Plant water potential improves prediction of stomatal models. PLOS One https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0185481
- S.L. Voelker, M.C. Stambaugh, J.R. Brooks, F.C. Meinzer, B. Lachenbruch and R.P. Guyette. 2017. Evidence that higher [CO2] increases tree growth sensitivity to temperature: a comparison of modern and paleo oaks. Oecologia 183: 1183-1195.
- Niu, C-Y, F.C. Meinzer and G-Y Hao. 2017. Divergence in strategies for coping with winter embolism among co-occurring temperate tree species: the role of positive xylem pressure, wood type and tree stature. Functional Ecology 31: 1550-1560.
- Meinzer, F.C., D.D. Smith, D.R. Woodruff, D.E. Marias et al. 2017. Stomatal kinetics and photosynthetic gas exchange along a continuum of isohydric to anisohydric regulation of plant water status. Plant, Cell and Environment 40: 1618-1628.
- Li, Y., K. Guan, P. Gentine, A.G. Konings, F.C. Meinzer et al. 2017. Estimating global ecosystem isohydry/anisohydry using active and passive microwave satellite data. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences 122: 3306-3321.
- Marias, D.E., F.C. Meinzer, D.R. Woodruff and K.A. McCulloh. 2017 Thermotolerance and heat stress responses of Douglas-fir and ponderosa pine seedling populations from contrasting climates. Tree Physiology 37: 301-315.
- Marias, D.E., F.C. Meinzer and C.S. Still. 2017. Impacts of leaf age and heat stress duration on photosynthetic gas exchange and foliar nonstructural carbohydrates in Coffea arabica. Ecology and Evolution 7: 1297-1310.
- Meinzer, F.C., D.R. Woodruff, D.E. Marias et al. 2016. Mapping ‘hydroscapes’ along the iso- to anisohydric continuum of stomatal regulation of plant water status. Ecology Letters 19: 1343-1352.
- Gaines, K.P., J.W. Stanley, F.C. Meinzer, K.A. McCulloh, D.R. Woodruff, W.Chen, T.S. Adams, H. Lin, and D.M. Eissenstat. 2016. Reliance on shallow water in a mixed-hardwood forest in central Pennsylvania. Tree Physiology 36: 444-458.
- Pineda-Garcia, F., H. Paz, F.C. Meinzer and G. Angeles. 2016. Exploiting water versus tolerating drought: water-use strategies of trees in a secondary successional tropical dry forest. Tree Physiology 36: 208-217.
- Voelker, S.L., J.R. Brooks, F.C. Meinzer et al. 2016. A dynamic leaf gas exchange strategy is conserved in woody plants under changing ambient CO2: evidence from carbon isotope discrimination in paleo and CO2 enrichment studies. Global Change Biology 22: 889-902.
- Gaines, K.P., F.C. Meinzer, C.J. Duffy, E.M. Thomas and D.M. Eissenstat. 2016. Rapid tree water transport and residence times in a Pennsylvania catchment. Ecohydrology 9: 1554-1565.
- Woodruff, D.R., F.C. Meinzer, D.E. Marias, S. Sevanto, M.W. Jenkins and N.G. McDowell. 2015. Linking nonstructural carbohydrate dynamics to gas exchange and leaf hydraulic behavior in Pinus edulis and Juniperus monosperma. New Phytologist 206: 411-421.
- McCulloh, K.A., D.M. Johnson, J. Petitmermet, B. McNellis, F.C. Meinzer and B. Lachenbruch. 2015. A comparison of hydraulic architecture in three similarly-sized woody species differing in their maximum potential height. Tree Physiology 35: 723-731.
- Kerr, K.L., F.C. Meinzer, K.A. McCulloh, D.R. Woodruff and D.E. Marias. 2015. Expression of functional traits during seedling establishment in two populations of Pinus ponderosa from contrasting climates. Tree Physiology 35: 535-548.
- Anderegg, W.R.L. and F.C. Meinzer. 2015. Wood anatomy and plant hydraulics in a changing climate. In: U. Hacke (ed.) Functional and Ecological Xylem Anatomy. Springer.
- Voelker, S.L., F.C. Meinzer, B. Lachenbruch, J.R. Brooks, and R.P. Guyette. 2014. Drivers of radial growth and carbon isotope discrimination of bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa Michx.) across continental gradients in precipitation, vapor pressure deficit and irradiance. Plant, Cell and Environment 37: 766-779.
- Voelker, S.L., J.R. Brooks, F.C. Meinzer, J. Roden, A. Pazdur, S. Pawelczyk, P. Hartsough, K. Snyder, L. Plavcova and J. Santrucek. 2014. Isolating relative humidity: dual isotopes δ18O and δD as deuterium deviations from the global meteoric water line. Ecological Applications 24: 960-975.
- McCulloh, K.A., D.M. Johnson, F.C. Meinzer and D.R. Woodruff. 2014. The dynamic pipeline: Hydraulic capacitance and xylem hydraulic safety in four tall conifer species. Plant, Cell and Environment 37: 1171-1183.
- Saffell, B.J., F.C. Meinzer, D.R. Woodruff, D.C. Shaw, S.L. Voelker, B. Lachenbruch and K. Falk. 2014. Seasonal carbohydrate dynamics and growth in Douglas-fir trees experiencing chronic, fungal-mediated reduction in functional leaf area. Tree Physiology 34: 218-228.
- Saffell, B.J., F.C. Meinzer, S.L. Voelker, D.C. Shaw, J.R. Brooks, B. Lachenbruch and J. McKay. 2014. Tree-ring stable isotopes record the impact of a foliar fungal pathogen on CO2 assimilation and growth in Douglas-fir. Plant, Cell and Environment 37: 1536-1547.
- Marias, D.E., F.C. Meinzer, D.R. Woodruff, D.C. Shaw, S.L. Voelker, J.R. Brooks, B. Lachenbruch, K. Falk and J. McKay. 2014. Impacts of dwarf mistletoe on the physiology of host Tsuga heterophylla trees as recorded in tree-ring C and O stable isotopes. Tree Physiology 34: 595-607.
- Meinzer, F.C., D.R. Woodruff, D.E. Marias, K.A. McCulloh and S. Sevanto. 2014. Dynamics of leaf water relations components in co-occurring iso- and anisohydric conifer species. Plant, Cell and Environment 37: 2577-2586.