Emeritus Professor of Forest Management
Forest Engineering, Resources & Management
356 Peavy Forest Science Center (PFSC)
PhD, 1986, Forest Biometrics, Oregon State University
MS, 1986, Applied Statistics, Oregon State University
MS, 1979, Forest Ecology, Rutgers University
BS, 1976, Forest Management, University of Maine
- Silviculture, Fire, and Forest Health
- Forest Biometrics and Geomatics
Former Director, Center for Intensive Planted-Forest Silviculture (CIPS) Current programs include: Mechanisms of response to fertilization in Douglas-fir plantations; foliage age class dynamics in Douglas-fir; silvicultural control of crown development and wood quality; Swiss needle cast growth impact; stand dynamics after variable-retention silvicultural treatments; growth and yield of mixed conifer forests of eastern Oregon; natural regeneration in ponderosa pine forests.
Graduate Major Advisor
- FOR 322Forest Models
- FOR 549Silvicultural Influences on Forest Ecosystem Dynamics
- Schmidt, A., Mainwaring, D.B., Maguire, D.A. 2020. Development of a tailored combination of machine learning approaches to model volumetric soil water content within a mesic forest in the Pacific Northwest. Journal of Hydrology 588:125044.
- Joo, S., Maguire, D.A., Mainwaring, D.B., Jayawickrama, K.J., Ye, T.Z., St. Clair, B. 2020. Estimation of yield gains at rotation-age from genetic tree improvement in coast Douglas-fir. Forest Ecology and Management, in press.
- Riofrio, J., M. del Rio, D.A. Maguire, F. Bravo. 2019. Species mixing effects on height-diameter and basal area increment models for Scots pine and Maritime pine. Forests 10(3):249-271. doi:10-3390_f10030249.
- Cornejo-Oviedo, E.H., S.L. Voelker, D.B. Mainwaring, D.A. Maguire, F.C. Meinzer, and J.R. Brooks. 2017. Basal area growth, carbon isotope discrimination, and intrinsic water use efficiency after fertilization of Douglas-fir in the Oregon Coast Range. Forest Ecology and Management 389:285-295. dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2017.01.005.
- Osborne, N.L., O. Høibø, and D.A. Maguire. 2016. Estimating the density of coast Douglas-fir wood samples at different moisture contents using medical X-ray computed tomography. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 127:50-55.
- Osborne, N.L., Maguire, D.A. 2015. Modeling knot geometry from branch angles in Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). Canadian Journal of Forest Research 46:215-224.46:215-224.
- Zhao, J., D. Maguire, D. Mainwaring, and A. Kanaskie. 2015. The effect of within-stand variation in Swiss needle cast intensity on Douglas-fir stand dynamics. Forest Ecology and Management 347:75-82.