Professor and JELD-WEN Chair of Wood-based Composites Science and Director of NSF Industry University Cooperative Research Center for Wood-Based Composites
Wood Science & Engineering
104 Richardson Hall
B.S., 1979, University of Minnesota
Ph.D., 1983, Oregon State University
- Resource Extension and Optimization
- Novel Composite Materials
- Adhesive Bonding
- Heat & Mass Transfer
- Wood-based Composites
- Wood-Water Relationships
Dr. Kamke's research specialization is heat and mass transfer in wood and wood-based products, with emphasis on adhesion science, modeling, manufacture and performance of wood-based composites, and green building materials. He is the author of over 200 technical publications and presentations. Dr. Kamke has had primary responsibility for over $15 million in extramural research grants and contracts. He has taught college level courses in physical and mechanical properties of wood, wood anatomy, wood-based composite manufacture, drying of wood, wood and water relationships, durability of wood products, adhesion, and building construction. Dr. Kamke also regularly teaches traditional and online short courses developed for the wood-based composites industry. He is actively engaged in consulting activities in the areas of his research specialization. Dr. Kamke is a Fellow in the International Academy of Wood Science and a past president of the Society for Wood Science and Technology.
Graduate Major Advisor
- WSE 461/561Bio-Based Products ManufacturingFirst of a 3-term series exploring technologies and management practices associated with manufacturing products from wood and other renewable materials. Subjects covered include the major processing steps for the conversion of raw materials such as wood, bamboo, hemp, and cereal straws into products.
- WSE 471/571Renewable Materials in Building ConstructionBuilding construction is a major application of renewable materials, primarily wood. This course explores material selection options, applications, and performance characteristics. Residential construction is emphasized, but non-residential construction applications will also be discussed. Concepts and interpretation of life cycle assessment are introduced.
- Wagenführ, A., Sandberg, D., Haider, W., Müller, U., Kamke, F., Niemz, P., Teischinger, A., Sandberg, D. (2021). Chapter 14: Forming, densification and moulding. Berlin: Springer. (Published)
- Pipiska, T., Cappellazzi, J., Leavengood, S. A., Kamke, F., Presley, G. N., Decky, D. (2021). Utilization of the western juniper (Juniperus occidentalis) in strandboards to improve the decay resistance. Bioresources, 16(2), 3886-3894.
- Way, D., Kamke, F., Sinha, A. (2020). Moisture Transport in Wood-Based Structural Panels under Transient Hygroscopic Conditions. Forest Products Journal, 70(3), 283-292.
- Way, D., Sinha, A., Kamke, F. (2020). Performance of Light-Frame Timber Shear Walls Produced with Weathered Sheathing. Journal of Architectural Engineering, 26(1), 04019019.
- Kutnar, A., O'Dell, J., Hunt, C., Frihart, C., Kamke, F., Schwarzkopf, M. (2020). Viscoelastic properties of thermo-hydro-mechanically treated beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) determined using dynamic mechanical analysis. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products 79(2):263-271.
- Bakar, B., Kamke, F. (2020). Comparison of alkali treatments on selected chemical, physical and mechanical properties of grape cane fibers. Cellulose, 27(13), 7371-7387.
- Bakar, B., Kamke, F. (2020). Effect of alkali treatment on the tensile properties of grape cane fibers by integrating digital image correlation method. Wood and Fiber Science, 52(4), 365-379.
- Pipiska, T., Paril, P., Cermak, P., Domeny, J., Kral, P., Kamke, F. (2020). Effect of chemical and thermal modification, and material replacement on strand board properties. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products 78(3): 565-575.
- Rodriguez de Oliveira, D., Andersen, C., Vega Gutierrez, S. M., Kamke, F., Robinson, S. C. (2019). Method of stabilizing heavily spalted big leaf maple as a decorative coating veneer layer for engineered wood flooring. Coatings, 9(2), 132.
- Way, D., Kamke, F., Sinha, A. (2019). Influence of Specimen Size on Accelerated Weathering of Laminated Veneer Lumber. Forest Products Journal, 69(1), 70-80.
- Way, D., Sinha, A., Kamke, F. (2018). Laboratory and Outdoor Weathering of Wood-Composite I-Joists. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering 30(7).
- Jakes, J., Frihart, C., Hunt, C., Plaza, N., Lorenz, L., Grigsby, W., Ching, D., Kamke, F., Gleber, S.-C., Vogt, S., Xiao, X. (2018). X-ray methods to observe and quantify adhesive penetration into wood. Journal of Materials Science, 705-718.
- Ching, D. J., Kamke, F., Bay, B. K. (2018). Methodology for comparing wood adhesive bondline load transfer using digital volume correlation. Wood Science and Technology, 52(6), 1569-1587.
- McKinley, P., Kamke, F., Sinha, A. (2018). Understanding the effect of weathering on adhesive bonds for wood composites using digital image correlation (DIC). Holzforschung, 73(2), 155-164.
- Laleicke, P. F., Kamke, F. (2018). A capacitive multi-wavelength sensor for moisture content gradient sensing in wood. Wood Science and Technology, 52(3), 717-732.
- Liu, H., Shang, J., Kamke, F., Gui, K. (2018). Bonding performance and mechanism of thermal-hydro-mechanical modified veneer. Wood Science and Technology, 52(2), 343-364.
- McKinley, P., Kamke, F., Sinha, A., De Andrade, V., Jakes, J. (2018). Analysis of Adhesive Penetration Into Wood Using Nano-X-Ray Computed Tomography. Wood and Fiber Science, 50(1), 66-76.