Forest Ecosystems & Society
220 Richardson Hall
B.S., University of Colombo, 1986
M.S., North Carolina State University, 1990
M.Stat, North Carolina State University, 1996
Ph.D., North Carolina State University, 1996
Managing cooperative tree improvement programsGenetics of wood properties of intensively managed conifersBreeding strategies for intensively managed conifersObtaining genetic gain in operational plantationsApplied Douglas-fir and western hemlock tree improvement
- Lowell, E.C., Maguire, D.A. Briggs, D.G., Turnblom, E.C., Jayawickrama, K. J.S. and Bryce,J. 2014. Effects of Silviculture and Genetics on Branch/Knot Attributes of Coastal Pacific Northwest Douglas-Fir and Implications for Wood Quality—A Synthesis. Forests 2014, 5, 1-x manuscripts; doi:10.3390/f50x000x (in press)
- Ye, T.Z and Jayawickrama, K.J.S. 2014. Geographic variation and local growth superiority for coastal Douglas-fir – rotation-age growth performance in a Douglas-fir provenance test. Silvae Genetica (in press).
- Geleynse, S., Alvarez-Vasco, C., Garcia, K., Jayawickrama, K., Trappe, M. and Zhang, X. 2014. A Multi-Level Analysis Approach to Measuring Variations in Biomass Recalcitrance of Douglas fir Tree Samples. BioEnergy Research (in press).
- Urhan, O., Kolpak, S.E., Jayawickrama, KJS, Howe, GT. 2014. Early genetic selection for wood stiffness in juvenile Douglas-fir and western hemlock Forest Ecology and Management 320: 104-117.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S., D. Shaw, and T.Z. Ye. 2012. Genetic Selection in Coastal Douglas-fir for tolerance to Swiss Needle Cast Disease. Proceedings of the fourth international workshop on the genetics of host-parasite interactions in forestry: Disease and insect resistance in forest trees. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-240. Albany, CA:Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. 372 p
- Ye, T.Z. and Jayawickrama, K.J.S. 2012. Early selection for improving volume growth in coastal Douglas-fir breeding programs. Silvae Genetica 61(4-5): 186-198.
- Jayawickrama KJS, Ye, TZ, and Howe GT. 2011. Heritabilities, intertrait genetic correlations, G x E interaction and predicted genetic gains for acoustic velocity in mid-rotation coastal Douglas-fir. Silvae Genetica 60(1): 8-18.
- Ye, T, Jayawickrama K, Turnblom, E and St Clair B. 2011. Age-7 Results from the three Grays Harbor Genetic Gain/ Type IV trials planted in 2005. SMC Quarterly News, 4th Quarter 2011. Stand Management Cooperative, College of Forest Resources, University of Washington, PO Box 352100, Seattle, WA 98195.
- Ye, TZ, Jayawickrama KJS and St Clair JB. 2009. Realized gains from block-plot coastal Douglas-fir trials in the Northern Oregon Cascades. Silvae Genetica 59(1): 29-39.
- Jayawickrama KJS. 2009. Northwest Tree Improvement Cooperative continues tradition. Western Forester July/August 2009, page 5.
- Jayawickrama, KJS, Ye TZ, Gupta R and Cherry ML 2009. Including Wood Stiffness in Tree Improvement of Coastal Douglas-fir in the US Pacific Northwest: A Literature Review and Synthesis. Research Contribution 50 of the Forest Research Laboratory, College of Forestry, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR.
- Jayawickrama KJS, Smith Jim AJ and Crawford MS. 2009. Establishment of Coastal Douglas-fir Orchards. Tree Planters Notes 53(2): 4-12.
- Ye, T. Z. and Jayawickrama, K. J. S. 2008. Efficiency of using spatial analysis in first-generation coastal Douglas-fir progeny tests in the US Pacific Northwest. Tree Genetics & Genomes 4: 677-692.
- McKeand SE, Li B, Grissom JE, Isik F and Jayawickrama KJS. 2008. Genetic parameter estimates for growth traits from diallel tests of loblolly pine throughout the southeastern United States. Silvae Genetica 57:101-110.
- Turnblom, EC and Jayawickrama K. 2007. First measurement on the Type IV GGTIV installations. SMC Quarterly News. Stand Management Cooperative, College of Forest Resources, University of Washington, PO Box 352100, Seattle, WA 98195.
- Ye, Terrance Z., Jayawickrama Keith JS, and Johnson GR. 2007. Efficiency of Including First-generation Information in Second-generation Ranking and Selection: Results of Computer Simulation. Tree Genetics and Genomes 3: 319-328.
- Howe, G, K Jayawickrama, GR Johnson, M Cherry and NC Wheeler. 2005. Breeding Douglas-fir. Invited book chapter on the genetic improvement of Douglas-fir. Pp. 245-353. In: Plant Breeding Reviews, v. 27. J. Janick (ed). John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Jayawickrama, KJS. 2005. Genetic improvement: boosting plantation productivity in the Pacific Northwest. Western Forester 50(3), May/June 2005. pp. 10-11.
- St. Clair, J.B. and Jayawickrama, K.J.S., and Mandel, N.L. 2004. Early realized genetic gains for coastal Douglas-fir in the Northern Oregon Cascades. Western Journal of Applied Forestry 19(3):195-201.
- Lipow, S.R., Johnson, G.R., St. Clair, J.B. and Jayawickrama, K.J.S. 2003. The role of tree improvement programs for ex situ gene conservation of coastal Douglas-fir in the Pacific Northwest. Forest Genetics 10:111-120.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S. 2003. Genetic improvement and deployment of western hemlock in Oregon and Washington: Review and Future Prospects. Silvae Genetica 52: 1-44.
- Kumar, S., Jayawickrama, K.J.S., Lee, J. and Lausberg, M. 2002. Direct and indirect measures of stiffness and strength show high heritability in a wind-pollinated radiata pine progeny test in New Zealand. Silvae Genetica 51(5-6): 256-261.
- Johnson, R., Temel, F. and Jayawickrama, K. 2002. Genetic studies involving Swiss needle cast. In: Filip, G. ed. Swiss needle cast cooperative annual report 2002. Forest Research Laboratory, College of Forestry, Oregon State University. Pp. 38-43.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S. 2001. Genetic parameter estimates for radiata pine in New Zealand and New South Wales: A synthesis of results. Silvae Genetica 50: 45-53.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S. 2001. Estimated among-family and within-family variances and heritabilities from three radiata pine clonal trials. Forest Genetics 8: 247-257.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S. 2001. Breeding radiata pine for wood stiffness: Review and Analysis. Australian Forestry 64: 51-56 .
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S. 2001. Potential genetic gains for carbon sequestration: a preliminary study on radiata pine plantations in New Zealand. Forest Ecology and Management 152: 313-322.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S. and M.J. Carson. 2000. A breeding strategy for the New Zealand Radiata Pine Breeding Cooperative. Silvae Genetica 49: 82-90.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S. and P.A. Jefferson. 1999. Stochastic simulation of the genetic advancement of multiple traits using sequential culling. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science 29: 25-43.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S. and C.B. Low. 1999. Pinus radiata selections from different regions of New Zealand differ in branch habit, form and growth rate. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science 29: 3-24.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S., S.E. McKeand, and J.B. Jett. 1998. Phenological variation in height and diameter growth in provenances and families of loblolly pine. New Forests 16: 11-25.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S., S.E. McKeand, and J.B. Jett. 1997. Rootstock effects on scion growth and reproduction in 8-year-old grafted loblolly pine. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 27: 1781-1787.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S., C.J.A. Shelbourne, and M.J. Carson. 1997. New Zealand’s long internode breed of Pinus radiata. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science 27: 126-141.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S. and C. Balocchi. 1993. Growth and form of provenances of Pinus radiata in Chile. Australian Forestry 56: 172-178.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S. J.E. Schlatter V., and R. Escobar R. 1993. Eucalypt plantation forestry in Chile. Australian Forestry 56: 179-192.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S. and C. Balocchi L. 1993. Tree improvement in Chile: two decades of progress. Journal of Forestry 91(6): 43-47.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S., S.E McKeand,. and J.B. Jett. 1992. Rootstock and scion effects on carbohydrates and mineral nutrients in loblolly pine. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 22: 1966-1973.
- Jayawickrama, K.J.S., S.E. McKeand, and J.B. Jett. 1991. Rootstock effects in grafted conifers: A review. New Forests 5: 157-173.