Associate Professor and Associate Department Head for FERM
Forest Engineering, Resources & Management
309 Snell Hall
PhD, 2007, Forest Resources, University of Washington
BS, 1999, Environmental Science, Western Washington University
- Forest Soil and Watershed Processes
- Soil Science
Soil productivity, effects of fire on soil, impact of silviculture on sediment transport and water quality.
Graduate Major Advisor
- Holub, S.M. and Hatten, J.A. 2019. Soil Carbon Storage in Douglas-Fir Forests of Western Oregon and Washington Before and After Modern Timber Harvesting Practices. Soil Science Society of America Journal 83(1):S175-S186.
- Matosziuk, L.M., Y. Alleau, B.K. Kerns, J. Bailey, M.G. Johnson, and J.A. Hatten. 2019. Effects of season and interval of prescribed burns on pyrogenic carbon in ponderosa pine stands in Malheur National Forest. Geoderma 348, pp. 1-11
- Holub, S. and J.A. Hatten. In-press. Soil carbon storage in Douglas-fir forests of western Oregon and Washington before and after modern timber harvesting practices. Accepted for publication in the Soil Science Society of America Journal on December 12, 2018. doi: 10.2136/sssaj2018.09.0354
- Richardson, K., J.A. Hatten, and R. Wheatcroft. 2018. 1500-years of lake sedimentation due to fire, earthquakes, floods and land clearance in the Oregon Coast Range: Geomorphic sensitivity to floods during timber harvest period. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 43(7): 1496-1517. doi.org/10.1002/esp.4335
- Hatten, J.A., C. Segura, K.D. Bladon, V.C. Hale, G.G. Ice, and J. Stednick. 2018. Effects of contemporary forest harvesting on suspended sediment in the Oregon Coast Range: Alsea Watershed Study Revisited. Forest Ecology and Management 408: 238-248. doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2017.10.049
- Mack, J., J.A. Hatten, E. Sucre, S. Roberts, Z. Leggett, and J. Dewey. 2014. The effect of organic matter manipulations on site productivity, soil nutrients, and soil carbon on a southern loblolly pine plantation. Forest Ecology and Management 326: 25-35. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2014.04.008
Complete Publications List:For a complete list of publications, visit Forest Soils Lab publications