Forest Ecosystems & Society
350 Richardson Hall
Ph.D. (Forestry): University of British Columbia
M.A. (Conservation Biology): Columbia University
B.Sc (Biology): McGill University
- Integrated Social and Ecological Systems
- Social Science, Policy and Natural Resources
- Community Forestry
- International Forestry
- Social Science
International and multi-level forest governance; community forestry; socio-ecological systems; forests and livelihoods; social science research methods.
Graduate Major Advisor
External (non-CoF) Graduate Students:
- André Faria, Environmental Sciences PhD student
- NR 201Managing Natural Resources for the Future
- NR 202Natural Resources Problems and Solutions
- FES 422/522Research Methods in Social Science
- Hajjar, R, JA Oldekop. 2018. Research frontiers in community forest management. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. 32: 119-125.
- Sanchez-Badini, O, R Hajjar, RA Kozak. 2018. Critical success factors for small and medium forest enterprises: A review. Forest Policy and Economics. 94: 35-45
- Vasquez-Fernandez, AM, R Hajjar, MI Shuñaqui Sangama, RS Lizardo, MP Pinedo, JL Innes, RA Kozak. 2017. Co-creating and Decolonizing a Methodology Using Indigenist Approaches : Alliance with the Asheninka and Yine-Yami Peoples of the Peruvian Amazon. ACME An International Journal for Critical Geographies.
- Phalan, B, R Hajjar. 2017. Developing without deforestation. Nature Plants. 3 (News &Views): 17120.
- Tomaselli, MF, R Hajjar, AE Ramon Hidalgo, A Vasquez. 2017. The problematic old roots of new green narratives: How far can they take us in re-imagining sustainability in the forestry sector? Special Issue on the Green Economy in International Forestry Review. 19 (S1): 1-13.
- Hajjar, R, RA Kozak. 2017. The evolution of forest producer associations and their current role in REDD+: Case studies from Quintana Roo, Mexico Land Use Policy. 60, 373-383
- Hajjar, R, JO Oldekop, P Cronkleton, E Etue, P Newton, AJ Russell, JS Tjajadi, W Zhou, A Agrawal. 2016. The data not collected on community forestry. Conservation Biology. 30 (6): 1357-1262.
- Hajjar, R, O Sanchez-Badini, RA Kozak. 2016. Promoting small and medium forest enterprises in the context of REDD+: A multi-country analysis of enabling environments. Climate Policy. DOI: 10.1080/14693062.2016.1179617
- Hajjar, R, RA Kozak. 2015. Exploring public perceptions of forest adaptation strategies in Western Canada: Implications for Policy-makers. Forest Policy and Economics. 61(2015): 59-69.
Complete Publications List:For a complete list of publications, visit Full list and publication pdfs