Courtesy Faculty; Research Ecologist, USDA Forest Service
Forest Ecosystems & Society
B.S., 1985, University of Washington, Seattle
M.S., 1990, University of Washington, Seattle
Ph.D., 1995, Oregon State University, Corvallis
- Science of Conservation, Restoration and Sustainable Management
- Forest, Wildlife and Landscape Ecology
- Forest Ecology
Plant population ecology; forest succession; fire ecology; understory plant relationships; landscape ecology; adaptive management. Available to co-advise with a second Major Professor
Graduate Major Advisor
- Gray, A. N. 2017. Avances en el conocimiento de la dinámica forestal: el papel del monitoreo regional. Cuadernos de la Sociedad Española de Ciencias Forestales 43:19-30. http://secforestales.org/publicaciones/index.php/cuadernos_secf/article/view/17524/17302
- Christensen, G. A., A. N. Gray, O. Kuegler, N. A. Tase, and M. Rosenberg. 2017. AB 1504 California Forest Ecosystem and Harvested Wood Product Carbon Inventory: 2006 – 2015. California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, Sacramento, CA. (“under AB 1504 Report” at: http://bof.fire.ca.gov/board_committees/ab_1504_process/)
- Turner, D. P., W. D. Ritts, R. E. Kennedy, A. N. Gray, and Z. Yang. 2016. Regional carbon cycle responses to 25 years of variation in climate and disturbance in the US Pacific Northwest. Regional Environmental Change:2345-2355.
- Whittier, T.R., and A.N. Gray. 2016. A tree mortality based fire severity classification for forest inventory surveys: a Pacific Northwest national forests example. Forest Ecology and Management 359: 199-209.
- Gray, A. N., T. R. Whittier, and M. E. Harmon. 2016. Carbon stocks and accumulation rates in Pacific Northwest forests: role of stand age, plant community, and productivity. Ecosphere 7:e01224.
- Temesgen, H., D. Affleck, K. Poudel, A. N. Gray, and J. Sessions. 2015. A review of the challenges and opportunities in estimating above ground forest biomass using tree-level models. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research. 30:326-335.
- Gray, A. N. and T. R. Whittier. 2014. Carbon stocks and changes on Pacific Northwest national forests and the role of disturbance, management, and growth. Forest Ecology and Management 328:167-178.
- Lintz, H.E., A.N. Gray, and B. McCune. 2013. Effect of inventory method on niche models: Random versus systematic error. Ecological Informatics 18: 20-34.
- Schulz, B.K., and A.N. Gray. 2013. The new flora of northeastern USA: quantifying introduced plant species occupancy in forest ecosystems. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 185, 3931-3957.
- Gray, A.N., T.A. Spies, and R.J. Pabst. 2012. Canopy gaps affect long-term patterns of tree growth and mortality in mature and old-growth forests in the Pacific Northwest. Forest Ecology and Management 281: 111-120.
- McIntosh, A., A. Gray, and S. Garman. 2012. Estimating canopy cover from standard forest inventory measurements in western Oregon. Forest Science 58:154-167.
- Gray, A., V. Monleon, and T. Spies. 2009. Characteristics of remnant old growth forests in the northern Coast Range of Oregon and comparison to surrounding landscapes. General Technical Report PNW-GTR-790. Portland, OR: USDA Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station.
- Gray, A.N. 2008. Monitoring and assessment of regional impacts from exotic invasive plants in forests of the Pacific coast, USA. Pp 217-235 In Kohli, Ravinder K., Shibu Jose, Harminder P. Singh, and Daizy R. Batish (eds). Invasive Plants and Forest Ecosystems. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fl.
- Zald, H.S.J., A.N. Gray, M. North, and R.A. Kern. 2008. Initial tree regeneration responses to fire and thinning treatments in a Sierra Nevada mixed-conifer forest, USA. Forest Ecology and Management 256: 168-179.
- Fiala, A., S. Garman, and A. Gray. 2006. Comparison of five canopy-cover estimation techniques in the western Oregon Cascades. Forest Ecology and Management 232: 188-197.
- Gray, A. 2005. Eight nonnative plants in western Oregon forests: associations with environment and management. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 100: 109–127.
- Gray, A.N. 2003. Monitoring stand structure in mature coastal Douglas-fir forests: effect of plot size. Forest Ecology and Management 175: 1-16.
- Gray, A.N., T.A. Spies, and M.J. Easter. 2002. Microclimatic and soil moisture responses to gap formation in coniferous forests. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32: 332-343.