Professor and Extension Specialist and Director of College of Forestry Research Forests
Forest Engineering, Resources & Management
8692 Peavy Arboretum Rd. Arboretum
MS, Forest Management, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 1983
BS, Forest Biology, State University of New York, College of Environmental Science & Forestry, Syracuse, New York, 1979
AAS, Holyoke Community College, Holyoke MA, 1976
- Silviculture, Fire, Forest Health and Biodiversity
- Fire Ecology
- Forest Health
I conduct educational programs to a wide variety of audiences on reforestation, thinning, maintaining healthy forests, backyard woodlands, stand density management, fire and fire management and a variety of other topics. My areas of interest and research include: uneven-aged management of ponderosa pine and mixed conifer forests; fire ecology and fire management; prescribed burning; forest health and resiliency; post-fire regeneration; regeneration processes; and thinning methods.
Graduate Major Advisor
- FE/FOR 312Forestry Field School
- FOR 454/554Managing in the Wildland Urban Interface(last taught 2009)
- FOR 407Wildland Fire Field Trip(last taught 2010)
- Riddell, A., Fitzgerald, S.A., Qi, C. and Strimbu, B.M. (2020). Classification strategies for unbalanced binary maps: finding Ponderosa Pine (Pinus Ponderosa) in the Willamette Valley. Remote Sensing, 12(20), 3325.
- Grand, L., Berger, C. A., Fitzgerald, S. A., Leavell, D. M. (2019). Fire FAQs—Who owns Oregon's forests, and how does that matter when it comes to fire? (EM 9228, pp. 2). Corvallis, OR: Extension and Experiment Station Communications (EESC).
- Fitzgerald, S. A., Berger, C. A., Leavell, D. M. (2019). What is forest fuel, and what are fuel treatments? (EM 9230, pp. 2). Corvallis, OR: EESC.
- Green, P., Chung, W., Leshchinsky, B. A., Belart, F., Sessions, J., Fitzgerald, S. A., Wimer, J. A., Cushing, T., Garland, J. 2019. Insight into the Productivity, Cost and Soil Impacts of Cable-assisted Harvester- forwarder Thinning in Western Oregon. Forest Science
- Garland, J., Belart, F., Crawford, R., W., Cushing, T., Fitzgerald, S. A., Green, P., Kincl, L., Leshchinsky, B. A., Morrissette, B. A., Sessions, J., Wimer, J. A. 2019. Safety in steep slope logging operations. Journal of Agromedicine, 24(2), 138-145.
- Woolley, T., Shaw, D. C., Hollingsworth, L. T., Agne, M. C., Fitzgerald, S. A., Eglitis, A., Kurth, L. 2019. Beyond red crowns: complex changes in surface and crown fuels and their interaction 32 years following mountain pine beetle epidemics in south-central Oregon, USA. Springer Open, 15(4), 17.
- Oester, P.T., S.A. Fitzgerald, N.A. Strong, B. Parker, L.V. Henderson, T. Deboodt, W.H. Emmingham, G.M Filip, and W.D. Edge. 2018. Ecology and Management of Eastern Oregon Forests. Manual 12. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 243 p.
- Bennett, M., Fitzgerald, S. A., Jones, A. C., Baylog, K. 2017. EM9184. Keeping Your Home and Property Safe from Wildfire: A Defensible Space and Fuel Reduction Guide for Homeowners and Landowners. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 36 p. Online at: https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/em9184
- Fitzgerald, S. A., Baylog, K., Bennett, M., Strong, N. A., Simes, R. 2017. Citizen Fire Academy. Curriculum Package for Facilitators and Educators. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis OR. 170 p.
- Kline, N., Grant, V., Fitzgerald, S. A. 2017. Managing Woodlands in the Coastal Fog Belt. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 9 p.
- Leavell, D. M., Berger, C. A., Fitzgerald, S. A., Parker, R. T. 2017. Fire Science Core Curriculum. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 197 p.
- Agne, M., T. Woolley, and S. Fitzgerald. 2016. Fire severity and cumulative disturbance effects in the post-mountain pine beetle lodgepole pine forests of the Pole Creek Fire. Forest Ecology and Management 366: 73-86.
- Cowan, A.D., J. E. Smith and S. A. Fitzgerald. 2016. Recovering lost ground: Effects of soil burn intensity on nutrients and ectomycorrhiza communities of ponderosa pine seedlings. Forest Ecology and Management 378: 160-172.
- Ganio, L., T. Woolley, D. Shaw, and S. Fitzgerald. 2015. The discriminatory ability of post-fire tree mortality logistic regression models. Forest Science 61(2): 344-353.
- Fitzgerald, S.A. and P. Ries. 2015. Selecting, Planting and Caring for a New Tree, Extension Circular 1438. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR.
- Oester, P., and S.A. Fitzgerald. 2015. Enhancing reforestation success in the Inland Northwest, PNW 520.Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 20 p.
Extension Specialist, Silviculture