Professor and Extension Specialist and Director of College of Forestry Research Forests
Forest Engineering, Resources & Management
8692 Peavy Arboretum Rd. Arboretum
MS, Forest Management, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 1983
BS, Forest Biology, State University of New York, College of Environmental Science & Forestry, Syracuse, New York, 1979
AAS, Holyoke Community College, Holyoke MA, 1976
- Silviculture, Fire and Forest Health
- Fire Ecology
- Forest Health
I conduct educational programs to a wide variety of audiences on reforestation, thinning, maintaining healthy forests, backyard woodlands, stand density management, fire and fire management and a variety of other topics. My areas of interest and research include: uneven-aged management of ponderosa pine and mixed conifer forests; fire ecology and fire management; prescribed burning; forest health and resiliency; post-fire regeneration; regeneration processes; and thinning methods.
Graduate Major Advisor
- FE/FOR 312Forestry Field School
- FOR 454/554Managing in the Wildland Urban Interface(last taught 2009)
- FOR 407Wildland Fire Field Trip(last taught 2010)
- Bennett, M., Fitzgerald, S. A., Jones, A. C., Baylog, K. 2017. EM9184. Keeping Your Home and Property Safe from Wildfire: A Defensible Space and Fuel Reduction Guide for Homeowners and Landowners. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 36 p. Online at: https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/em9184
- Fitzgerald, S. A., Baylog, K., Bennett, M., Strong, N. A., Simes, R. 2017. Citizen Fire Academy. Curriculum Package for Facilitators and Educators. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis OR. 170 p.
- Kline, N., Grant, V., Fitzgerald, S. A. 2017. Managing Woodlands in the Coastal Fog Belt. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 9 p. Online at: https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/ec1131
- Leavell, D. M., Berger, C. A., Fitzgerald, S. A., Parker, R. T. 2017. Fire Science Core Curriculum. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 197 p. Online at: https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/em9172
- Agne, M., T. Woolley, and S. Fitzgerald. 2016. Fire severity and cumulative disturbance effects in the post-mountain pine beetle lodgepole pine forests of the Pole Creek Fire. Forest Ecology and Management 366: 73-86.
- Cowan, A.D., J. E. Smith and S. A. Fitzgerald. 2016. Recovering lost ground: Effects of soil burn intensity on nutrients and ectomycorrhiza communities of ponderosa pine seedlings. Forest Ecology and Management 378: 160-172.
- Ganio, L., T. Woolley, D. Shaw, and S. Fitzgerald. 2015. The discriminatory ability of post-fire tree mortality logistic regression models. Forest Science 61(2): 344-353.
- Fitzgerald, S.A. and P. Ries. 2015. Selecting, Planting and Caring for a New Tree, Extension Circular 1438. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. Online at: https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/ec1438
- Oester, P., and S.A. Fitzgerald. 2015. Enhancing reforestation success in the Inland Northwest, PNW 520.Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 20 p. Online at: https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/pnw520
- Fitzgerald, Stephen, Paul Oester, and Bob Parker. 2013. Individual Tree Selection (ITS) in a Northeast Eastern Oregon Mixed Conifer Forests. EM 9083. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 8 p.
- Bennett, Max, Stephen Fitzgerald, and Marty Main. 2013. Mixed Conifer and Hardwood Forest Management in Southwest Oregon. EM 9084. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 12 p.
- Woolley, T., D.C. Shaw, L.M. Ganio, and S.A. Fitzgerald. 2011. A review of logistic regression models used to predict post-fire mortality of western North American conifers. International Journal of Wildland Fire.
- Fitzgerald, S.A. 2010. Chapter 2: Ecology of Quaking Aspens. In N. Strong, T. Welch, B. Littlefield, and D. Stringer (eds.) Land Manager’s Guide to Aspen Management in Oregon. Chapter 2: Aspen ecology. Extension Manual 9005. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 79 p.
- Bennett, M., S.A. Fitzgerald, B. Parker, M. Main, A. Perleberg, C. Schnepf, and R. Mahoney. 2009. Reducing Fire Risk on Forest Property. PNW 618. A Pacific Northwest Extension Publication, Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 35 p.
- Fillip, G.M., S.A. Fitzgerald, K.L. Chadwick, and T.A. Max. (2009). Thinning Ponderosa Pine Affected by Armillaria Root Disease: 40 Years of Growth and Mortality on an Infested Site in Central Oregon. Western Journal of Applied Forestry.
- Emmingham, W., R. Fletcher, S. Fitzgerald, and M. Bennett. 2007. Comparing Tree and Stand Volume Growth Response to Low and Crown Thinning in Young Douglas-fir Stands. Western Journal of Applied Forestry 22(2): 124-133.
- Filip, G.M., C.L. Schmidt, D.W. Scott, and S.A. Fitzgerald. 2007. Understanding and Defining Mortality in Western Conifer Forests. Western Journal of Applied Forestry 22(2): 105-115.
- Emmingham, W., P.T. Oester, S.A. Fitzgerald, G.M. Filip, and W.D. Edge. 2005. Ecology and Management of Eastern Oregon Forests. Extension Manual 12. Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR. 208 p.
- Fitzgerald, S.A. 2005. Fire Ecology of Ponderosa Pine and the Rebuilding of Fire-Resilient Ponderosa Pine Ecosystems. In M.W. Ritchie, M.A. Maguire, and A. Youngblood (Tech. Coordinators) Proceedings of the Symposium on Ponderosa Pine: Issues, Trends, and Management. 2004 October 18-21, Klamath Falls, OR. General Technical Report PSW-GTR-198, Pacific Southwest Research Station, USDA Forest Service, Albany CA.
- Fitzgerald, S.A., D.A. Maguire, and R. Singleton. 2005. Simulating Structural Development and Fire Resistance of Second-Growth Ponderosa Pine Stands. In C.E. Peterson and D.A. Maguire (Editors) Proceedings of the Conference Balancing Ecosystem Values: Innovative Experiments for Sustainable Forestry. General Technical Report PNW-GTR-635. Pacific Northwest Research Station, USDA Forest Service, Portland, OR. 389 p.
Extension Specialist, Silviculture