Research Associate (Post-doc)
Forest Engineering, Resources & Management
343 Peavy Forest Science Center (PFSC)
Ph.D. in Forest Resources, 2015, Oregon State University
M.S. in Forest Resources, 2010, Oregon State University
B.S. in Forest Management, 1999, Colorado State University
- Dunn, CJ, Johnston, JD, Reilly, MJ, Bailey, JD, Miller, RA (2020) Regeneration dynamics offer new insights into fire’s functional role in Douglas-fir forests of the Pacific Northwest, USA. Ecosphere.
- Dunn, CJ, O’Connor, CD, Abrams, J, Thompson, MP, Calkin, DE, Johnston, JD, Stratton, R, Gilbertson-Day, J (2020) Wildfire risk science facilitates adaptation of fire-prone social-ecological systems to the new fire reality. Environmental Research Letters, https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/ab6498
- Thompson, MP, Wei, Y, Calkin, DE, O’Connor, DE, Dunn, CJ, Anderson, NM, Hogland, JS (2019) Risk Management and Analytics in Wildfire Response. Current Forestry Reports, 5(4), 226-239.
- Wei, Y, Thompson, MP, Scott, JH, O’Connor, CD, Dunn, CJ (2019) Designing operationally relevant daily large fire containment strategies using risk assessment results. Forests, 10(4), 311; doi:10.3390/f10040311
- Eisenberg, C, Anderson, CL, Collingwood, A, Dunn, CJ, Meigs, GW, Hibbs, DE, Sissons, R, Murphy, S, Kuiper, SD, Spearchief-Morris, J, Little Bear, L, Edson, CB, Johnston, B (2019) Out of the Ashes: Effects of Extreme Wildfire, Prescribed Burns, and Indigenous Burning on Ecosystem Structure and Diversity. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 7, 436. Thompson, MP, Wei, Y, Dunn, CJ (2019) A systems dynamics model examining alternative wildfire response policies. Systems, 2019, 7, 49; doi:10.3390/systems704004
- Dunn, CJ, O’Connor, CD, Reilly, MJ, Calkin, DE, Thompson, MP (2019) Spatial and temporal assessment of responder exposure to snag hazards in post-fire environments. Forest Ecology and Management, 441: 202-214.
- Johnston, JD, Dunn, CJ, Vernon, M (2019) Tree traits influence response to fire severity in the western Oregon Cascades, USA. Forest Ecology and Management, 433: 690-698.
- Johnston, JD, Dunn, CJ, Vernon, M, Bailey, JD, Morrissette, B, Morici, K (2018) Restoring historical forest conditions in a diverse inland Pacific Northwest Landscape. Ecosphere, 9(8)
- Hoe, MS, Dunn, CJ, Hailemariam, T (2018) Multi-temporal LiDAR improves estimates of fire severity in forested landscapes. International Journal of Wildland Fire. https://doi.org/10.1071/WF17141
- Thompson, MP, MacGregor, DG, Dunn, CJ, Calkin, DE, Phipps, J (2018) Rethinking the Wildland Fire Management System. Journal of Forestry, 116 (4), 382-390. https://doi.org/10.1093/jofore/fvy020
- Zald, HSJ, Dunn, CJ (2018) Severe fire weather and intensive forest management increase fire severity in a multi-ownership landscape. Ecological Applications, 28(4): 1068-1080.
- Dunn, CJ. (2018). Forests on Fire: Nature’s Thermal Creativity. In: Ecological Forest Management, Franklin, JF, Johnson, KN, Johnson, DL (eds). Waveland Press, Inc., Long Grove, IL, USA. ISBN 13: 978-1-4786-3350-1
- Dunn, CJ, Thompson, MP. (2018). The Fire Next Time: Strategies for Fire and Fuels Management. In: Ecological Forest Management, Franklin, JF, Johnson, KN, Johnson, DL (eds). Waveland Press, Inc., Long Grove, IL, USA. ISBN 13: 978-1-4786-3350-1
- Johnston, JD, Bailey, JD, Dunn, CJ, Lindsay, AA (2017) Historical fire-climate relationships in contrasting interior Pacific Northwest forest types. Fire Ecology, 13(2): 17–36. doi: 10.4996/fireecology.130257453
- Dunn, CJ, Thompson, M, Calkin, DE (2017). A framework for developing safe and effective large-fire response in a new fire management paradigm. Forest Ecology and Management, 404: 184-196. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2017.08.039
- Dunn, CJ. (2016) Ghost fire of the North: the historical account of a lost boreal forest mega-fire. Ecology, 97 (3): 813-814
- Bailey, JD, Dunn, CJ. (2016). From Smokey Bear to Smoky Air: Wildland Fire Management at a Crossroads. Western Forester, January/February.
- Thompson, MP, Dunn, CJ, Calkin, DE. (2015). Wildfires: Systemic changes needed. Science, 11-20-2015.
- Johnston, JD, Bailey, JD, Dunn, CJ (2016) Influence of Fire Disturbance and Biophysical Heterogeneity on Pre-Settlement Ponderosa Pine and Mixed Conifer Forests. Ecosphere, 7(11).
- Thompson, MP, Dunn, CJ, Calkin, DE. (2016). Systems thinking and wildland fire management. Journal of the International Society for the Systems Sciences, 1(1):1-17.
- Song, Z, Dunn, CJ, Lu, XT, Qiao, L, Pang, JP, Tang, JW (2017). Coarse woody decay rates vary by physical position in tropical seasonal rainforests of SW China. Forest Ecology and Management, 385:206-213. 10.1016/j.foreco.2016.11.033
- Dunn, CJ, Thompson, MP, Calkin, DE. (2017). Towards enhanced risk management: planning, decision making, and monitoring of U.S. wildfire response. International Journal of Wildland Fire, 26: 551-556.
- Katuwal, H, Dunn, CJ, Calkin, DE (2017). Characterizing resource use and exposure during large-fire management in the western US. International Journal of Wildland Fire, 26:604-614.
- Johnston, JD, Bailey, JD, Dunn, CJ, Lindsay, AA (2017) Fire-climate relationships among diverse forest types in an interior Pacific Northwest Landscape. Fire Ecology
- Reilly, M, Dunn, CJ, Meigs, GW, Spies, TA, Kennedy, RE, Bailey, JD, Briggs, K (2017). Contemporary patterns of fire extent and burn severity in forests of the Pacific Northwest (1985-2010). Ecosphere, 8(3).
- Dunn, CJ, Bailey, JD. (2016). Tree mortality and structural change following mixed-severity fire in Pseudotsuga forests 1 of Oregon’s western Cascades, USA. Forest Ecology and Management, 365: 107-118. doi:10.1016/j.foreco.2016.01.031
- Dunn, CJ, Bailey, JD. 2015. Temporal Fuel Dynamics Following High-Severity Fire in Dry -MIxed Cinifer Forests of the Eastern Cascades, Oregon USA. International Journal of Wildland Fire.
- Dunn, CJ, Bailey, JD. 2015. Modeling the direct efforts of salvage logging on long-term temporal fuel dynamics in dry-mixed conifer forests. Forest Ecology and Management.
- Dunn, CJ, Bailey, JD. 2012. Temporal dynamics and decay of coarse wood in early seral habitats of dry-mixed conifer forests in Oregon's Eastern Cascades. Forest Ecology and Management. 276: 71-81.