Associate Professor; Director, MNR Program
Forest Ecosystems & Society
202 Richardson Hall
Ph.D., 2005 Natural Resources and Environment, Washington State University
M.S., 1996 Wildlife Biology, Washington State University
B.A., 1983 Theater Arts, Cornish Institute of the Arts
- Social Science, Policy and Natural Resources
- Human Dimensions
- Natural Resources
- Social Science
How is science used to inform management decisions? Extension program focus: Fire science delivery; Climate change communication and science delivery; Intergenerational transfer of private forestlands
Graduate Major Advisor
- NR455Natural Resources Decision Making
- Creighton, J.H., Berger C.A., Johnson J.E. 2019. Key issues affecting Oregon family forest owners: A scoping review of the literature and survey analysis of educational service providers. Small-scale forestry. 18, 411.
- Creighton, J.H., K.A. Blatner, and M.S. Carroll. 2016. For the love of the land: generational land transfer and the future of family forests in western Washington state, USA. Small-Scale Forestry. On-line first: (DOI) 10.1007/s11842-015-9301-2.
- Creighton, J., M. Strobel, S. Hardegree, R. Steels, B. Van Horne, B. Gravenmier, W. Owen, D. Peterson, L.Hoang, N. Little, J. Bochicchio, W. Hall, M. Cole, S. Hestvik, J. Olson. 2015: Northwest Regional Climate Hub Assessment of Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation and Mitigation Strategies, A. Perry, Ed., United States Department of Agriculture, 52 pp.
- Fischer, A.P., K. Vance-Borland, K.M. Burnett, S.S. Hummel, J. Creighton and S. Johnson. 2014. Does the social capital in networks of “fish and fire” scientists and managers suggest learning? Society and Natural Resources 27:671-688.
- Davis, E.J., C Moseley, C. Olsen, J. Abrams, and J. Creighton. 2013. Diversity and dynamism of fire science user needs. Journal of Forestry 111(2):101-107.
- Grotta, A.T., J.H. Creighton, C. Schnepf, and S. Kantor. 2013. Family forest owners and climate change: understanding, attitudes and educational needs. Journal of Forestry 111(2):87-93.
- Creighton, J.H., K.A. Blatner, and M.S. Carroll. 2008. People, place and politics: The role of place attachment and conflict in rural communities. Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 23(4):232-235.
- Johnson, J.E., J.H. Creighton, and E.R.Norland. 2006. Building a foundation for success in natural resources extension education: An international perspective. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education. 13(3), 33-45.
- Creighton, J.H. and D.M. Baumgartner. 2005. Washington State’s forest regulations: family forest owners’ understanding and opinions. Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 20(3):192-198.
- Baumgartner, D.M., J.H. Creighton, and K.A. Blatner. 2003. Use and Effectiveness of Washington State’s Extension Forest Stewardship Program. Small-scale forest economics, management and policy. 2(1): 49-61.
- Creighton, J.H., D.M. Baumgartner, and S. D. Gibbs. 2002. Fire Prevention in the Rural/Urban Interface: Washington's Backyard Forest Stewardship/Wildfire Safety Program. Journal of Extension. 40(2).
- Creighton, J.H., D.M. Baumgartner, and K.A. Blatner. 2002. Ecosystem management and nonindustrial private forest landowners in Washington State. Small-scale forest economics, management and policy 1(1): 55-69.