Associate Professor and Extension Specialist; Director, MNR Program
Forest Ecosystems & Society
Outreach and Engagement
202 Richardson Hall
Ph.D., 2005 Natural Resources and Environment, Washington State University
M.S., 1996 Wildlife Biology, Washington State University
B.A., 1983 Theater Arts, Cornish Institute of the Arts
- Social Science, Policy and Natural Resources
- Human Dimensions
- Natural Resources
- Social Science
How is science used to inform management decisions? Extension program focus: Fire science delivery; Climate change communication and science delivery; Intergenerational transfer of private forestlands
Extension Specialist – Human Dimensions and Natural Resources
Graduate Major Advisor
- NR455Natural Resources Decision Making
- Creighton, J.H., Berger C.A., Johnson J.E. 2019. Key issues affecting Oregon family forest owners: A scoping review of the literature and survey analysis of educational service providers. Small-scale forestry. 18, 411.
- Creighton, J.H., K.A. Blatner, and M.S. Carroll. 2016. For the love of the land: generational land transfer and the future of family forests in western Washington state, USA. Small-Scale Forestry. On-line first: (DOI) 10.1007/s11842-015-9301-2.
- Creighton, J., M. Strobel, S. Hardegree, R. Steels, B. Van Horne, B. Gravenmier, W. Owen, D. Peterson, L.Hoang, N. Little, J. Bochicchio, W. Hall, M. Cole, S. Hestvik, J. Olson. 2015: Northwest Regional Climate Hub Assessment of Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation and Mitigation Strategies, A. Perry, Ed., United States Department of Agriculture, 52 pp.
- Fischer, A.P., K. Vance-Borland, K.M. Burnett, S.S. Hummel, J. Creighton and S. Johnson. 2014. Does the social capital in networks of “fish and fire” scientists and managers suggest learning? Society and Natural Resources 27:671-688.
- Davis, E.J., C Moseley, C. Olsen, J. Abrams, and J. Creighton. 2013. Diversity and dynamism of fire science user needs. Journal of Forestry 111(2):101-107.
- Grotta, A.T., J.H. Creighton, C. Schnepf, and S. Kantor. 2013. Family forest owners and climate change: understanding, attitudes and educational needs. Journal of Forestry 111(2):87-93.
- Creighton, J.H., K.A. Blatner, and M.S. Carroll. 2008. People, place and politics: The role of place attachment and conflict in rural communities. Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 23(4):232-235.
- Johnson, J.E., J.H. Creighton, and E.R.Norland. 2006. Building a foundation for success in natural resources extension education: An international perspective. Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education. 13(3), 33-45.
- Creighton, J.H. and D.M. Baumgartner. 2005. Washington State’s forest regulations: family forest owners’ understanding and opinions. Western Journal of Applied Forestry. 20(3):192-198.
- Baumgartner, D.M., J.H. Creighton, and K.A. Blatner. 2003. Use and Effectiveness of Washington State’s Extension Forest Stewardship Program. Small-scale forest economics, management and policy. 2(1): 49-61.
- Creighton, J.H., D.M. Baumgartner, and S. D. Gibbs. 2002. Fire Prevention in the Rural/Urban Interface: Washington's Backyard Forest Stewardship/Wildfire Safety Program. Journal of Extension. 40(2).
- Creighton, J.H., D.M. Baumgartner, and K.A. Blatner. 2002. Ecosystem management and nonindustrial private forest landowners in Washington State. Small-scale forest economics, management and policy 1(1): 55-69.
Extension Specialist, Human Dimensions and Natural Resources