Forest Ecosystems & Society
B.S., 1978, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff
M.S., 1984, University of Maine, Orono
Ph.D., 1989, Colorado State University, Ft. Collins
- Remote Sensing
Scaling field-based ecological information to landscape and regional levels with remote sensing and models; examining losses of information with scaling-induced generalization; interpretations and applications of lidar data for characterizations of forest structure.
Research Forester and Director Laboratory for Application of Remote Sensing in Ecology USDA Forest Service Pacific Northwest Research Station
- FS 505Reading & Conference
- Powell, S.L., W.B. Cohen, S.P. Healey, R.E. Kennedy, G.G. Moisen, K.B. Pierce, and J.L. Ohmann. 2010. Quantification of Live Aboveground Forest Biomass Dynamics with Landsat Time-Series and Field Inventory Data: A Comparison of Empirical Modeling Approaches, Remote Sensing of Environment 114:1053-1068.
- Spies, T.A., J.D. Miller, J.B. Buchanan, J.F. Lehmkuhl, J.F. Franklin, S.P. Healey, P.F. Hessburg, H.D. Safford, W.B. Cohen, R.H. Kennedy, E.E. Knapp, J.K. Agee, and M. Moeur. 2010. Underestimating risks to the northern spotted owl in fire-prone forests: a response to Hanson et al., Conservation Biology Volume 24 Issue 1, Pages 330 - 333. DOI: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2009.01414.x
- Kennedy, R.E., P.A. Townsend, J. Gross, W.B. Cohen, P. Bolstad, Y.Q. Wang, and P. Adams. 2009. Remote sensing change detection tools and natural resource managers: Understanding concepts and tradeoffs in the design of landscape monitoring projects, Remote Sensing of Environment Vol. 113, No. 7 pp. 1382-1396.
- Kim, Y., Z. Yang, W.B. Cohen, D. Pflugmacher, C. Lauver, J.L. Vankat. 2009. Distinguishing between live and dead standing tree biomass on the North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park, USA using small-footprint lidar data, Remote Sensing of Environment, doi:10.1016/j.rse.2009.07.010.
- Goward, S.N., J.G. Masek, W.B. Cohen, G. Moisen, G.. Collatz, S. Healey, R.A. Houghton, C. Huang, R. Kennedy, B. Law, S. Powell, D. Turner, M.A. Wulder. 2008. Forest disturbance and North American carbon flux, EOS Transactions 89:105-116, American Geophysical Union
- Hayes, D.J., W.B. Cohen, S.A. Sader, and D.E. Irwin. 2008. Estimating proportional change in forest cover as a continuous variable from multi-year MODIS data, Remote Sensing of Environment. 112:735-749.
- Healey, S.P., W.B. Cohen, T.A. Spies, M. Moeur, D. Pflugmacher, M.G. Whitley, and M. Lefsky. In press. The Relative Impact of harvest and fire upon landscape-level dynamics of older forests: lessons from the Northwest Forest Plan, Ecosystems.DOI: 10.1007/s10021-008-9182-8
- Liu, W., C. Song, T.A. Schroeder, and W.B. Cohen. 2008. Predicting forest successional stages using multitemporal Landsat imagery and Forest Inventory and Analysis data, International Journal of Remote Sensing 29:3855-3872.
- Masek, J.G., C. Huang, W.B. Cohen, J. Kutler, F.G. Hall, R. Wolfe, and P. Nelson. 2008. North American forest disturbance mapped from a decadal Landsat record: methodology and initial results, Remote Sensing of Environment 112:2914-2926.
- Pascual, C., A. García-Abril, L.G. García-Montero, S. Martín-Fernández, and W.B. Cohen. 2008. Forest stand delineation and structure characterization using lidar data in heterogeneous pine forests of Spain. Forest Ecology and Management 255:3677-3685.
- Powell, S.L., W.B. Cohen, Z. Yang, J. Pierce, and M. Alberti. 2008. Quantification of impervious surface in the Snohomish Water Resources Inventory Area of Western Washington from 1972-2006, Remote Sensing of Environment 112:1895-1908.
- Schroeder,T.A., A. Gray, M.E. Harmon, D.O. Wallin, and W.B. Cohen. 2008. Estimating live forest carbon dynamics with a Landsat-based curve fitting approach , Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 02:023519, DOI:10.1117/12.804055.
- Wulder, M.A., J.C. White, S.N. Goward, J.G. Masek, J.R.Irons, M. Herold, W.B. Cohen, T.R. Loveland, C.E. Woodcock. 2008. Landsat continuity: Issues and opportunities for land cover monitoring, Remote Sensing of Environment. 112:955-969.
- Hayes, D.J. and W.B. Cohen. 2007. Spatial, spectral and temporal patterns of tropical forest cover change as observed with multiple scales of optical satellite data, Remote Sensing of Environment 106:1-16.
- Kennedy, R.E., W.B. Cohen, A.A. Kirschbaum, and E. Haunreiter. 2007. Protocol for Landsat-based monitoring of landscape dynamics at North Coast and Cascades Network Parks: U.S. Geological Survey Techniques and Methods 2-G1, 126 p.
- Kennedy, R.E., W.B. Cohen, T.A. Schroeder. 2007. Trajectory-based change detection for automated characterization of forest disturbance dynamics, Remote Sensing of Environment 110:370-386.
- Lobser, S.E. and W.B. Cohen. 2007. The MODIS tasselled cap: land cover characteristics expressed through transformed MODIS data, International Journal of Remote Sensing 28:5079-5101.
- Pflugmacher, D., O.N. Krankina, and W.B. Cohen. 2007. Satellite-based peatland mapping: potential of the MODIS sensor, Global and Planetary Change 56:248-257.