Forest Ecosystems & Society
229 EPA Building, 200 SW 35th
B.S., 1984, University of Georgia, Athens
M.S., 1987, University of Washington, Seattle
Ph.D., 1993, University of Washington, Seattle
- Soil-Plant-Atmosphere Continuum
- Genetics and Physiology
- Forest, Wildlife and Landscape Ecology
- Ecosystem Ecology
- Forest Plant Ecology
Stable isotopes in ecological research, physiological plant ecology, ecohydrology
Plant Physiologist at the US EPA
- Brooks, J. R., J. E. Compton, J. Lin, A. T. Herlihy, A. Nahlik, W. Rugh, and M. Weber. 2022. δ15N of Chironomidae: An index of nitrogen sources and processing within watersheds for national aquatic monitoring programs. Science of the Total Environment 813:151867 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0048969721069436
- Weitzman, J. N., J. R. Brooks, P. M. Mayer, W. Rugh, and J. E. Compton. 2021. Coupling the dual isotopes of water and nitrate: A new framework for classifying current and legacy groundwater pollution. Environmental Research Letters 16:045008.
- Windler, G., J. R. Brooks, H. Johnson, R. Comeleo, R. Coulombe, and G. J. Bowen. 2021. Climate impacts on source contributions to flow in the Snake River Basin using surface water isoscapes (δ2H and δ18O) Water Resources Research 57: e2020WR029157 https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2020WR029157
- Brooks, J. R., D. M. Mushet, M. K. Vanderhoof, S. G. Leibowitz, J. Christensen, B. Neff, D. O. Rosenberry, W. Rugh, and L. C. Alexander. 2018. Estimating wetland connectivity to streams in the prairie pothole region: An isotopic and remote sensing approach. Water Resources Research 54:955-977. https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2017WR021016
- Brooks, J. R. 2015. Water, bound and mobile: Isotopic data help to resolve global hydrologic fluxes. Science 349:138-139
- Brooks, J. R., J. J. Gibson, S. J. Birks, M. H. Weber, K. Rodecap, and J. L. Stoddard. 2014. Stable isotope estimates of evaporation:inflow and water residence time for lakes across the United States as a tool for national lake water quality assessments. Limnology and Oceanography 59(6):2150-2165. https://aslopubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.4319/lo.2014.59.6.2150
- Brooks, J.R., P.J. Wigington, D.L. Phillips, R. Comeleo and R. Coulombe 2012. Willamette basin surface water isoscape (d18O and d2H): temporal changes of source water within the river. Ecosphere 3(5):39.
- Brooks. J. R. and A. K. Mitchell. 2011. Interpreting tree responses to thinning and fertilization using tree-ring stable isotope. New Phytologist 190:770-782.
- Brooks, J.R., H. Barnard, R. Coulombe and J.J. McDonnell 2010. Ecohydrologic separation of water between trees and streams in a Mediterranean climate. Nature Geoscience 3:100-104. https://www.nature.com/articles/ngeo722
- Brooks, J. R., and R. Coulombe. 2009. Physiological responses to fertilization recorded in tree rings: isotopic lessons from a long-term fertilization trial. Ecological Applications 19:1044-1060.