Forest Engineering, Resources & Management
BS in Forestry, 1962, Iowa State University
MF in Forest Ecology, 1963, Yale School of Forestry
PhD in Forest Soils and Ecology, 1967, Yale University
- Forest Ecology
- Soil Science
Current interests: Synthesizing and integrating information about: potentially sustainable forestry; forest soil ecology; biogeochemistry; forest ecology; sustained forest productivity; planted forests; tree-soil interactions; nutrients and biota in forest soils
- Boyle, James R., Robert F. Powers, editors, 2001. Forest Soils and Ecosystem Sustainability.
- Forest Soils and Ecosystem Sustainability. 2001. Papers available in: Forest Ecology and Management Special Issue, Volume 138, nos.1-3 (2000), 462 pages. (book apparently out of print; available from some used book sellers.)
- Boyle, J.R., J.K. Winjum, K. Kavanagh, and E.C. Jensen, editors. 1999. Planted Forests: Contributions to the Quest for Sustainable Societies. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht .
- Boyle, J.R. 1998. Planted forests: views and viewpoints. New Forests. 17(1/3):5-9
- Boyle, James R. et al. 1998. Cumulative Effects of Forest Practices: An Example Framework For Evaluation from Oregon, U.S.A. Biomass and Bioenergy 13 (4,5):223-245.
- Powers, R.F. A.E. Tiarks, and J.R. Boyle. 1997. Assessing soil quality: Practicable standards for sustainable forest productivity in the United States. Special Publication of Soil Science Society of America. Madison, WI. No. 53, pp. 53-80.
- Boyle, J.R. 1992. Creating new visions of sustainable forestry. Forest Perspectives. 2(1)20-21.
- Miller, R.E., J.R. Boyle et al. 1992. Fertilizers and other means to maintain long-term productivity of western forests. In: Forest Fertilization: Sustaining and Improving Nutrition and Growth of Western Forests. Inst. of Forest Resources Contrib. 73. Coll. of Forest Resources, Univ. Washington, Seattle; H.N. Chappell, G.F. Weetnam and R.E. Miller, eds.
- Shaw, C.H., H. Lundqvist, A. Moldenke and J. Boyle. 1991. The relationships of soil fauna to long-term forest productivity in temperate and boreal ecosystems: Processes and research strategies. Pages 39-77 in: Long-term Field Trials to Assess Environmental Impacts of Harvesting. Forest Research Institute of New Zealand Bull. No. 161. June 1991.
- Fried, J.S., J.R. Boyle, J.C. Tappeiner II and K. Cromack Jr. 1990. Effects of bigleaf maple on soils in Douglas-fir forests. Can. J. For. Res. 20(3):259-266.
- Perry, D. H., R. Meurisse, B. Thomas, R. Miller, J. Boyle, J. Means, C. R. Perry & R. F. Powers. 1989. Maintaining the Long-Term Productivity of Pacific Northwest Forest Ecosystems. Timber Press, Portland, Oregon.