Director, Graduate Certificate in Urban Forestry; Instructor
Forest Ecosystems & Society
B.S. and M.S. degrees in Natural Resources from The Ohio State University
Ed.D. in Educational Leadership from Carson-Newman University
- Integrated Social and Ecological Systems
- Community Forestry
- Natural Resources
- Urban Forestry
Urban and Community Forestry; Green Infrastructure; Natural Resources Leadership
Graduate Major Advisor
- FES/HORT 350Fall and Winter Quarters
- FES/HORT 455/555Fall Quarter
- FES 560Winter Quarter
- FES 565Spring Quarter
- FES/HORT 447/547Spring Quarter
- Baur, J. W., Tynon, J. F., Ries, P., & Rosenberger, R. S. (2016). Public attitudes about urban forest ecosystem services management: A case study in Oregon cities. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 17, 42-53.
- Strunk, J. L., Mills, J. R., Ries, P., Temesgen, H., & Jeroue, L. (2016). An urban forest--inventory-and-analysis investigation in Oregon and Washington. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 18, 100-109.
- Ries, P., Hauer, R., & Peterson, W. (2016). Systematic management of the urban forest. Arborists News 25 (3), 46-49.
- Ries, P.D. and Fitzgerald, S. (2016). Selecting, Planting, and Caring For A New Tree. Extension Bulletin EC 1438 (interactive app and downloadable pdf), Oregon State University Extension Service, Corvallis, OR
- Driscoll, A.N., Ries, P.D, Tilt, J.H., & Ganio, L.M., (2015). Needs and barriers to expanding urban forestry programs: An assessment of community officials and program managers in the Portland – Vancouver metropolitan region. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 14(1) 48-55.
- Driscoll, A.N. & Ries, P.D. (2015). Cultivating a greener Collective Impact: A guidebook for regional urban forestry collaboration. Salem, OR: Oregon Department of Forestry.
- Baur, J.W.R., Tynon, J.F., Ries, P., & Rosenberger, R., (2014). Urban parks and attitudes about ecosystem services: does park use matter? Journal of Parks and Recreation Administration, 32(4), 19–34.
- Wing, M.G., K. Brown, D.C. Godwin, P.D. Ries, and & Emanuel, R. (2014). Land cover transitions and forest spatial patterns within four developing Oregon communities. International Journal of Advanced Remote Sensing and GIS, 3(1), 790-806.
- Baur, J.W.R., Tynon, J.F., Ries, P., Rosenberger, R., (2014). Linking People and Landscapes: Using Public Perceptions of Urban Forestry Services to Create New Management Strategies. Report for the Oregon Department of Forestry. Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR.
- Ries, P.D. (2011). The changing face of urban forestry education. City Trees (47) 6:34-35
- Ries, P.D. (2009). Urban, community, or forestry? City Trees (45) 6:22
- Ries, P.D. (2009). Protecting trees on construction and development sites: A best management practices guide for the Pacific Northwest. Bulletin EM 8994. Corvallis, OR: Oregon State University Extension Service.
- Ries, P.D., Reed, A. S., & Kresse, S.J. (2007). The impact of statewide urban forestry programs: A survey of cities in Oregon, U.S., Arboriculture & Urban Forestry, 33(3), 168-175.
- Ries, P.D. & Griffith, S., (2007). Urban and community forestry – forestry’s final frontier. Western Forester (52) 1:1-4.
- Ries, P.D. (2006). Street tree maintenance: City service or homeowner responsibility? City Trees (42) 4:10-13.
- Ries, P.D. (2005). Learning lessons from tree failures. City Trees (41) 4:24-26.
- Ries, P.D. & Schoenneman, R. (1994). Urban forestry: managing the forests where we live. Journal of Forestry, (92) 10, 6-10.