Guistina Professor of Forest Management
Forest Engineering, Resources & Management
226 Snell Hall
PhD, 1986, Forest Biometrics, Oregon State University
MS, 1986, Applied Statistics, Oregon State University
MS, 1979, Forest Ecology, Rutgers University
BS, 1976, Forest Management, University of Maine
- Silviculture, Fire and Forest Health
- Forest Biometrics and Geomatics
Director, Center for Intensive Planted-Forest Silviculture (CIPS) Current programs include: Mechanisms of response to fertilization in Douglas-fir plantations; foliage age class dynamics in Douglas-fir; silvicultural control of crown development and wood quality; Swiss needle cast growth impact; stand dynamics after variable-retention silvicultural treatments; growth and yield of mixed conifer forests of eastern Oregon; natural regeneration in ponderosa pine forests.
Graduate Major Advisor
- Jagels, R., M.A. Equiza, D. Cirelli, and D. Maguire. Wood science data: A key resource for tree biomechanics research. Trees (Structure and Function), in review
- ) Cornejo-Oviedo, E.H., S.L. Voelker, D.B. Mainwaring, D.A. Maguire, F.C. Meinzer, and J.R. Brooks. 2017. Basal area growth, carbon isotope discrimination, and intrinsic water use efficiency after fertilization of Douglas-fir in the Oregon Coast Range. Forest Ecology and Management 389:285-295.
- Osborne, N.L., O. Høibø, and D.A. Maguire. 2016. Estimating the density of coast Douglas-fir wood samples at different moisture contents using medical X-ray computed tomography. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 127:50-55.
- Osborne, N.L., D.A. Maguire. 2015. Modeling knot geometry from branch angles in Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). Canadian Journal of Forest Research, in press.
- Zhao, J., D. Maguire, D. Mainwaring, and A. Kanaskie. 2015. The effect of within-stand variation in Swiss needle cast intensity on Douglas-fir stand dynamics. Forest Ecology and Management 347:75-82.
- Mainwaring, D.B., D.A. Maguire, and S.S. Perakis. 2014. Three-year growth response of young Douglas-fir to nitrogen, calcium, phosphorus, and blended fertilizers in Oregon and Washington. Forest Ecology and Management 327:178-188.
- Lowell, E.C., D.A. Maguire, D.G. Briggs, E.C. Turnblom, K.J.S. Jayawickrama, and J. Bryce. 2014. Effects of silviculture and genetics on branch/knot attributes of coast Pacific Northwest Douglas-fir and implication or wood quality – A synthesis. Forests 5:1717-1736
- Littke, K.M., R.B. Harrison, D. Zabowski, D.G. Briggs, and D.A. Maguire. 2014. Effects of geoclimatic factors on soil water, nitrogen, and foliage properties of Douglas-fir plantations in the Pacific Northwest. Forest Science 60:1118-1130.
- Zhao, J., D. Maguire, D. Mainwaring, J. Wehage, and A. Kanaskie. 2013. Thinning mixed-species stands of Douglas-Fir and western hemlock in the presence of Swiss needle cast: Guidelines based on relative basal area growth of individual trees. Forest Science, http://dx.doi.org/10.5849/forsci.12-528.
- Zhang, J., M.W. Ritchie, D.A. Maguire, and W.W. Oliver. 2013. Thinning ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa) stands reduces mortality while maintaining stand productivity. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 43:311-320.
- Lam, T.-Y. and D.A. Maguire. 2013. Modeling microhabitat association of infrequently captured rodents sampled under complex hierarchical design with Bayesian models. Forest Ecology & Management 298:101-110.
- Mulvey. R.L., D.M. Shaw, and D.A. Maguire. 2013. Fertilization impacts on Swiss needle cast disease severity in western Oregon. Forest Ecology & Management 287:147-158.
- Lam, T.-Y. and D.A. Maguire. 2012. Structural equation modeling: Theory and applications in forest management. International Journal of Forest Research 2012 Article ID 263953, 16 pages, doi: 10.1155/2012/263953.
- Zhao, J., D.A. Maguire, D.B. Mainwaring, and A. Kanaskie. 2012. Climatic influences on needle cohort survival mediated by Swiss needle cast in coastal Douglas-fir. Trees 26:1361-1371.
- Garber, S., T.Y. Lam, and D.A. Maguire. 2011. Growth and mortality of residual Douglas-fir after regeneration harvests under group selection and two-story silvicultural systems. West. J. Appl. For. 26:64-70.
- Lam, T.Y. and D.A. Maguire. 2011. Thirteen-year height and diameter growth of Douglas-fir seedlings under alternative regeneration cuts in the Pacific Northwest. West. J. Appl. For. 26:57-63.
- Shaw, D.C., G.M. Filip, A. Kanaskie, D.A. Maguire, and W.A. Littke. 2011. Managing an epidemic of Swiss needle cast in the Douglas-fir region of Oregon: The role of the Swiss Needle Cast Cooperative. J. For. 109:109-119.
- Harrison, R.B., D.A. Maguire, and D. Page-Dumroese. 2011. Maintaining adequate nutrient supply – Principles, decision-support tools, and best management practices. Pp. 33-42 in S.D. Angima and T.A. Terry (eds). Best management practices for maintaining soil productivity in the Douglas-fir region. Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR. EM-9023.
- Weiskittel, A..R., D.A. Maguire, R.A. Monserud, and G.P. Johnson. 2010. A hybrid model for intensively managed Douglas-fir plantations in the Pacific Northwest, USA. European Journal of Forest Research 129:325-338.
- Vance, E.D., D.A. Maguire, and R.S. Zalesny. 2010. Research strategies for increasing productivity of intensively managed forest plantations. Journal of Forestry 108:183-192.