Professor and Director of the Oregon Wood Innovation Center
Outreach and Engagement
Wood Science & Engineering
130 Richardson Hall
Ph.D. Systems Science/ Engineering Management, Portland State University
M.S., Forest Products, Oregon State University
B.S., Wood Science & Technology, Colorado State University
- Competitive Forest Sector
- Advanced Manufacturing
Scott Leavengood is director of the Oregon Wood Innovation Center (OWIC) and has worked in Wood Products Extension with OSU since 1994. As a Wood Products Extension Agent, Scott provided technical assistance and training to manufacturers in south-central Oregon (Klamath County) for approximately 7 years and then in the Portland metro area for 5 years. His primary areas of emphasis for technical assistance are wood technology, quality and process control, and lesser known species utilization. As director of OWIC, his focus is linking research and education with needs of Oregon wood products firms and assisting entrepreneurs with market assessments and product testing. Scott also recently completed a Ph.D. in Engineering Management at Portland State University studying best practices in quality management for achieving quality and innovation performance. Recently, Scott Leavengood received the Educator of the Year award from SWST.
Graduate Major Advisor
- WSE 462/562ADVANCED MANUFACTURING 1Second of a 3-term series exploring technologies and management practices associated with manufacturing products from wood and other renewable materials. Subjects covered include process design elements, quality control, and approaches to continuous process improvement.
- WSE 465RENEWABLE MATERIALS MANUFACTURING EXPERIENCELearning about and visiting a number of renewable materials industrial and commercial operations representing all parts of the renewable materials value chain. The class will meet daily for one 5-day week immediately prior to the start of fall term. During the week, the students and at least one instructor will meet daily. Lectures will precede visits to industrial plants, mills and sites. At the end of the day, an instructor will participate in a debriefing session, reiterating what was learned during the day. Students will then submit a report on the day's activities. The class includes daily travel and overnight stays.
- WSE 520THE GLOBAL CONTEXT OF THE FOREST SECTORProvides a broad knowledge base of business and marketing practices in the global forest industry. Includes a module on research ethics that fulfills OSU Graduate School requirements.
- Li, Xiaoping, S. Leavengood, J. Cappellazzi, and J.J. Morrell. 2018. Laboratory decay resistance of palmyra palm wood. Maderas-Ciencia y Tecnologia 20(3):1-9.
- Miyamoto, B.T., A. Sinha, S. Leavengood, J. Morrell, D. DeVisser, and D. Kruse. 2018. Mechanical property assessment for establishing design values of western juniper. Wood & Fiber Science 50(20):1-13.
- Burnard, M., L. Muszynski, S. Leavengood, and L. Ganio. 2018. An optical method for rapid examination of check development in decorative plywood panels. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products. Published online 6/15/2018. (https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/articles/6h4410079)
- Laukkanen, V., M. Siimekselä, S. Leavengood, and E. Hansen. 2017. Best practices in capturing employee creativity: Forest sector firms in the US and Finland. International Wood Products Journal. 8(1): 10-17.
- Guerrero, J.E., S. Leavengood, H. Gutiérrez-Pulido, F.J. Fuentes-Talavera, J.A. Silva-Guzman. 2017. Applying Lean Six Sigma in the Wood Furniture Industry: A Case Study in a Small Company. Quality Management Journal. 24(3):6-19.
- Leavengood, S. 2015. Quality Management. Wood-Based Entrepreneurs Toolkit. OSU Forest Research Laboratory, Contributions in Education and Outreach No. 3g.
- Leavengood, S. 2015. Operational Planning. Wood-Based Entrepreneurs Toolkit. OSU Forest Research Laboratory, Contributions in Education and Outreach No. 3f.
- Leavengood, S. and J.E. Reeb. 2015. Statistical Process Control. Part 2 - How and Why SPC Works. Performance Excellence in the Wood Products Industry Series. OSU Extension and Experiment Station Communications. EM 8733 10 pp. (revision and update of 1999 publication)
- Leavengood, S. and J.E. Reeb. 2015. Statistical Process Control. Part 9 - Process Capability Analysis. Performance Excellence in the Wood Products Industry Series. OSU Extension and Experiment Station Communications. EM 9111 9 pp.
- Leavengood, S. and J.E. Reeb. 2015. Statistical Process Control. Part 8 - Attributes Control Charts. Performance Excellence in the Wood Products Industry Series. OSU Extension and Experiment Station Communications. EM 9110 9 pp.
- Leavengood, S. and J.E. Reeb. 2015. Statistical Process Control. Part 7 - Variables Control Charts. Performance Excellence in the Wood Products Industry Series. OSU Extension and Experiment Station Communications. EM 9109 19 pp.
- Leavengood, S. 2014. Wood Products Extension at Oregon State University - the Oregon Wood Innovation Center (OWIC). eXtension.org Wood Products Community of Practice. June 13, 2014.
- Leavengood, S. 2014. The Pacific Northwest – Home to Douglas-fir and a Few ‘New’ Species. eXtension.org Wood Products Community of Practice. February 18, 2014.
- Leavengood, S. 2014. Getting Technical: The Scoop on Wood Hardness. Series of 5 articles for Hardwood Floors’ National Wood Flooring Association) Green Blog. March-April, 2014